How Many Pounds of Burger?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am sending in an older bull to get processed. He will be made into all burger. From past experience, I have a pretty good handle of what I will lose from live to hang. What percentage of the hanging weight would I expect to get in finished burger? Thank you

50% would be a decent average, perhaps more if they use a bit more fat in the grind mix. If you were McDonalds I would advise you would get about 80% return, without the soy, once the sawdust and soy were added about 200%

Eaglewerks

> I am sending in an older bull to
> get processed. He will be made
> into all burger. From past
> experience, I have a pretty good
> handle of what I will lose from
> live to hang. What percentage of
> the hanging weight would I expect
> to get in finished burger? Thank
> you

[email protected]

> 50% would be a decent average,
> perhaps more if they use a bit
> more fat in the grind mix. If you
> were McDonalds I would advise you
> would get about 80% return,
> without the soy, once the sawdust
> and soy were added about 200%

Good joke but you never know who might believe it. Seriously, Mcdonalds uses a blend that is 60% lean(read that killer cows and bulls) and 40% Tallow(read that bovine lard). When they started buying imported lean, the Joplin sale barn invited them to explain themselves. their rep. was proud to say they use the same 60/40 blend in every McD in the nation. So, no sawdust, but I detect a hint of kangaroo.
> Bryan Coover

[email protected]

> Good joke but you never know who
> might believe it. Seriously,
> Mcdonalds uses a blend that is 60%
> lean(read that killer cows and
> bulls) and 40% Tallow(read that
> bovine lard). When they started
> buying imported lean, the Joplin
> sale barn invited them to explain
> themselves. their rep. was proud
> to say they use the same 60/40
> blend in every McD in the nation.
> So, no sawdust, but I detect a
> hint of kangaroo.

Besides the lean beef burgers, I got to tip my hat to McDonalds for providing paying jobs for allot of our mentally and physically handicapped kids. These kids sure put the food stampers to shame, or should!

> Besides the lean beef burgers, I
> got to tip my hat to McDonalds for
> providing paying jobs for allot of
> our mentally and physically
> handicapped kids. These kids sure
> put the food stampers to shame, or
> should!

My wife works in the MRDD (Mental Retardation Development Disorder) field and I would have to agree that they are good corperate "city" nieghbors, but they sure don't support the farmer with their importation of beef. I have read they are starting to import their meat for South America where the regulations on feed and pesticides aren't as strict as they are here. They claim the American farmer cann't meet their needs. Bolvine Manure!

Oh...come now...lol. Guess that explains (60/40) why a "Quarter Pounder" is about 1/16 of a pound (just joking folks) after all the fat and tallow is cooked out... Without that "special sauce" (thousand island dressing)?? they would probably (just guessing) wouldn't have much flavor...duh....

I'll drink to that! Yes, they do employ the disabled...good dog. Yes, they allegedly don't buy from US of A producers...allegedly...bad dog. They're in it to make money...don't think I EVER saw one of their ads that claimed they had "good" food! Most of ads promote fast, fun time for kids, quality control, predictability, and all...Ray Kroc had an idea and he went with it all the way to the bank when he founded "Mickey D's" and the golden arches (or are those large golden hooters....)...lol

McDonalds buys more US beef than any other company in the world. They are your biggest customer. Every other burger chain has been selling imported beef for years while McDonalds sold only US beef. This past year they were having a problem finding lean ground beef. US producers have been producing more Choice beef. A lot of the cuts of beef that used to be ground up for lean hamburger are now being precooked and sold as value added products. So McDonald announced they will start using imported meat to mix with the fatter ground beef we get from Choice cattle. They are NOT importing beef from South America; it's coming from Australia.

[email protected]

I never meant to seem ungrateful to the American suppliers and consumers of bland generic hamburgers. However, to listen to the hamburger chain reps. say they can't get enough American product when the US killer cow price is lower than its been in 40 years(with inflation adj.), well, its really just about making another nickel per serving.

[email protected]

Latest posts