How many on here lease land?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'm getting closer (I think) to finding land to lease but it sure ain't easy. I just keep putting ads out and got another response tonight, we'll see. How many of y'all lease your land?

We lease both private and school trust fund land.
The private is renewed every year and the school is every 10 years.

I found a place by looking for land that was not being taken care of. Found out who owned it, called him and made a deal. Of course I had to do a lot of work cleaning the place up as the last lessor abused the place. Since that time I have had other people call me to see if I wanted their place. I picked up another 200 acres for free just because the owner new I would take care of his property.

We lease more land then we own. Lease prices are high around here but not near as high as trying to buy more land. The hardest part is finding land to lease and when you do find it it's overgrazed and weedy, usually with poor fencing, and the owners want you to manicure the place and are real picky about what you do and don't do because of what the people before you did. We built a real nice set of pipe pens and several thousands of feet of fence on one place and ended up only having it a year. That was an absolute nightmare and we learned a very important (expensive) lesson on that deal.

We lease the majority of the land that we graze. I can't get the cows to produce enough to make land payments.

I lease some .
I saw a place rent a few months ago for 40 per acre. You could run a pair to about every 4 acres. The rentor agreed to fertilize it every year and to either spray or bushog once a year. It didnt have a catch pen and had decent fencing. I couldnt make a profit paying that much and I dont think they could either. Seems like many people in the cattle business have no intention of making a profit . I guess its so fun people dont care if they lose money. Sure makes it hard for those of us trying to make a profit.

if you enjoy cattle youllm pay high rent for a pasture.an thats a fact.theres a place 5mi from me thats mostly woods an some grass.an up till 6yrs ago didnt have dencent fences at all on it.an its a pretty big place.last i herd about 10yrs go it was renting for $25 an acre.i doubt you could run 60 pairs on it yr round.so that is $75 a hd in rent more or less.if your raising cattle to make money.you might as well sell your cows an quit.because their aint no money in cows now.because all the prices have gone sky high.

I lease.It's very small but at this point I'm in this business more so because it's a passion of mine.Making money would be real nice.The price of land in my area is crazy cheapest I've found thus far is 12,000.00 an acre for sale.

I am paying about $29/acre. I run about 2 cows per acre. Could probably get down to a 1.5:1 ratio. He leaves me alone. I see him once a year with a check. It works out.

It's getting harder and harder to find at a reasonable price here.The city hunters get together and gobble it up at a high price.They come out on weekends with their travel trailers and 4 wheelers.They come during the enjoyable times of the year.Fall for Deer and Spring for turkeys.You dont see them when it's 100 degrees with 98% humidity or when it's cold as heck.I've thought of trying to share a lease with them but them idiots are liable to shoot a cow just to tell there buddies they killed something.

We lease about 100 acres to a guy who runs a cow calf operation at one farm.

We lease pasture next to us and one down the road...the cows keep the weed control board off the owner's back I give them some beef and they don't have to pay me to mow it. Only up here we only get a few months of decent grazing it the ground isn't sub-irrigated.
DMc

we lease 300 acres for crops only.we own all the land that is pastured. most of the rented land has been rented for 10 to 30 years now.we have real good people that we rent from.

Well, I struck out again and I've even got a great Mentor who will basically tell/show me everything to do. If I could find enough land he will put some of his cattle on there to. How bout any of you guys in the middle Tn. area, can anyone put me in touch with someone that might have land for lease? I'll pay a finder's fee.

Thanks!

My wife and I have dicussed lease vs. buying land and with the price per acre right now sky high there's no way we could make a land payment. We would like to get into the hay business and lease more pastureland close to our place. However with corn pushing $6/bu alot of land that was considered too poor for crops is now being put into production taking up available pastureland.

Latest posts