How many have made spending money doing this?

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
Snapped this pic baling straw. It's been hot so we're hoping to finish today.

Larry

LOL....not quite like that. We had to walk beside a truck and throw the bale on the truck. Didn't have it put right their for us to stack.... :D

Seem to recall I got to keep my feet under that kitchen table and had a clean bed rather than getting spending money. :lol:

been there done that and I've got the tshirt. gas money when i was a teenager - keeping a roof over our head as an adult.

I enjoy one square bale hauling a year. Much more than a couple hundred and I lose interest pretty fast. Hate stacking that $hit in the barn loft. We can't find any young or hungry guys around here to do it. It is normally me, a buddy, and two heart attack patients.

J&D Cattle":ljevgrqm said:
I enjoy one square bale hauling a year. Much more than a couple hundred and I lose interest pretty fast. Hate stacking that $hit in the barn loft. We can't find any young or hungry guys around here to do it. It is normally me, a buddy, and two heart attack patients.

Use to haul it when I was a teenager. NOBODY had a barn. Usually an old vacant house. You entered thru the living room, down the hall and into the back bedroom then worked your way back to the front. :lol2: :lol2: Made three and a half a day....three meals and a half of the bed.

Jogeephus":6ehd2qrc said:
I did the walk beside too. Always enjoyed it till I got to the barn.

Me too. The closest i ever came to dying on the farm was stacking bales in a barn in Missouri!

I had forgotten but there use to be some dropped on the ground and picked up here too.

Those boys there are pretty good workers, they just ain't quite tough enough yet to go really hard. I was telling them how I used to bale hay all day long for a penny a bale (the older I get the better I used to be :lol2: ), the thing about that was for that days work you could fill your gas tank and have money left over.

Larry

TexasBred":hz9yayig said:
J&D Cattle":hz9yayig said:

Use to haul it when I was a teenager. NOBODY had a barn. Usually an old vacant house. You entered thru the living room, down the hall and into the back bedroom then worked your way back to the front. :lol2: :lol2: Made three and a half a day....three meals and a half of the bed.

Oh man, lots of steps in and back out then. That would have sucked too! Put some in an attic once. The hole was just barely big enough to fit the square bale through. If the old timer hadn't been my Great Uncle I would have cussed him.

I believe I'd have cussed him anyway cause I know exactly what type attic hole you are talking about and I'm sure you weren't doing it in the winter either.

I never got paid by my grandparents to do it but when I worked for cousins and uncles I got a lil money but my cousin was a slave driver I will never forget when i got up there he did have the same set up trailer in tow behind baler and when he was in front of the baler chute he would tell his wife to drive slow but when I helped him many he dam near had it in road gear and kept gunning the engine in that 5000 ford and man those bales would be rolling out of that new holland baler I was talking about this the other night with my grandmother as she laughed her head off. I miss those times but i darn sure do not want to pick up and stack anymore square bales ever again.

Used to haved to do that all day long at my uncles farm when I was a kid... We still square bale a little these days for the horses, but thank goodness for round bales!! :cboy:

I did lots and lots of them over the years. Some because Dad said to, some to help neighbors, some for money, and later to feed my own cows. This year I did one small square bale. Someone had lost a bale off a load. It was laying in the middle of the road. I stopped and tossed it into the back of my pickup. That was enough bucking small squares to last me a year of two.

larryshoat":3kmms318 said:
I had forgotten but there use to be some dropped on the ground and picked up here too.

Those boys there are pretty good workers, they just ain't quite tough enough yet to go really hard. I was telling them how I used to bale hay all day long for a penny a bale (the older I get the better I used to be :lol2: ), the thing about that was for that days work you could fill your gas tank and have money left over.

Larry

Yep.. When I was about 13-14 yrs old, I used to haul it for a dollar a ton. Nowdays some of these guys are getting anywhere from a quarter to fifty cents a bale.