• 10-50

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • 50-100

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • 100 or more

Votes: 27 24.1%

• Total voters
VtMapleGal":2p91h3he said:
well, i take no offense when someone ask me how many animals i own.
11 cows (plus 2 in the making), 10 pigs, 27 chickens, 5 phesants, 3 dogs, 3 cats, 3 horses, 2 catfish, 1 bird and 1 boyfriend.
And look where he is in the listing. :p

VtMapleGal":171scazr said:
well, i take no offense when someone ask me how many animals i own.
11 cows (plus 2 in the making), 10 pigs, 27 chickens, 5 phesants, 3 dogs, 3 cats, 3 horses, 2 catfish, 1 bird and 1 boyfriend.

...and a partridge in a pear tree. :mrgreen:

L.A.":3694xto2 said:
I'll answer truthfully, I keep 1 head for every 4 feet. ;-)

I guess you wouldn't be offended if someone called you half-headed? :p

I seem to always get 1 butthole for every head

Nesikep":2912w7xh said:
L.A.":2912w7xh said:
I'll answer truthfully, I keep 1 head for every 4 feet. ;-)

I guess you wouldn't be offended if someone called you half-headed? :p

I wanted to go there but didn't post it.

Bez+":1gv8bl7g said:
Where I come from it is considered very impolite to ask.

But - we have been reasonably large - 400 plus moms - and very small - zero.

Where we are today. Some know and the rest do not need to know.

How much money you got as compared to total debt on your farm? Your folks planning on leaving it all to you?

How much life insurance you got.

How is your prostate doing?

Got that problem with erectile dysfunction fixed yet?

And so on.

I think you get my drift.

Cheers

Bez+

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Very well said Bez.

I've got a nice book and a few magazines with a bunch of cow pictures. Do those count too? :nod:

130 momma cows. Hopefully a lot less next year if the darned cow market improves a bit. Had over 160 before BSE hit here in 2003.
In Canada the writing is on the wall, in my opinion. MCOOL is probably about the final straw for us. We are soon to be down to two packers as XL is in the process of buying out Tyson in Canada and we will be left with Cargill and XL and they will squeeze us even more.
The Canadian cow herd is shrinking rapidly and soon will not be in a position to supply the packers with the numbers they need to operate...I think they are at 62% capacity now! One of the big packers will probably have to go which will leave one monopoly buyer(expect Cargill to survive). With access cut off to the USA feedlots/packers it pretty well means we are going to be toast in the cattle business up here. Oh well it wasn't much of a money maker anyway. Time to move on.

I ask people hoe many cows they have or how many head tehy're milking now. But these are folks I know and are working with or are close friends. Wouldn;t think of asking a stranger.

I don't guess anyone that doesn't want it known wants to explain why either do they? I can only think of a couple of reasons for not wanting anyone to know and I'll keep them to myself because it would prolly make some people mad. FWIW I still don't have any, yet. But I'm getting closer and when I finally get some you can bet I'll post it up even if no one cares but me. :D

i dont mind talking bout how meny cows we have or how much land they run on.i look at people 2 ways that wont talk about it.1 is they dont want people knowing their business.an 2 they just dont talk about it.but around here i know how much land people have.as well as how meny cows they have.the no no sub here is weekend vs fulltime cattlemen an thats ok.

In the late '80s, back when I was alot smarter than I am now and in my late 20's, my father and I visited Frank Felton's to see his herd. It was just before he became very well known. I had the courage (or was just that stupid) to ask him...."how many head are you running?". He replied, somewhat sarcastically, "How many head am I running?....Well, a few." I was taken aback a little by his answer. I figured if I had a nice herd of cows, I wouldn't mind telling anyone how many head I had. Years later, I was later talking to Gene Henkel about how Frank Felton didn't want to tell me how many cows he had and he replied: "Well, that's kinda like asking a man how much money he has in the bank. It really isn't anyone's business." He was right, and I learned once again how stupid I was. How many cows do I have? Not near as many as I would like to have.

A lot of counties now have searchable databases. If I wanted to know how much land somebody has (in that county) is to click on the map and then click on the owner's names. All their tracts under that name will pop up on the screen and you can click on any one of them for location, map, tax status, etc. The day may be coming for the cows too when we get mandatory premises registration and mandatory animal I.D.

Brandonm22":5xztlmdo said:
A lot of counties now have searchable databases. If I wanted to know how much land somebody has (in that county) is to click on the map and then click on the owner's names. All their tracts under that name will pop up on the screen and you can click on any one of them for location, map, tax status, etc. The day may be coming for the cows too when we get mandatory premises registration and mandatory animal I.D.

If you go snooping on me, don't forget to check all 5 of the counties I have holdings in. Oh - and don't forget to check out the boss lady's name too. I have to fix her fences since she doesn't :D

Doesn't matter anyway. Saw a t-shirt once that said "He who dies with the most toys wins." I thought to myself, "He who dies with the most toys,...... still dies. He also has the most debt."
Still, I think we would all like to be that man (woman).

I don't mind bragging. Last I counted I had......one.

But, I bet she's more productive and efficient, pound for pound, than any cow anyone here has.

How's that for a challenge. :)

djinwa":2soekyj4 said:

But, I bet she's more productive and efficient, pound for pound, than any cow anyone here has.

Is she a 700 pounder that had 500 pound weaned triplets?

HerefordSire":3ta0ecyk said:
djinwa":3ta0ecyk said:

Close - just decided I better not say too much and lose my competitive edge.

djinwa":wrk47307 said:
HerefordSire":wrk47307 said:
djinwa":wrk47307 said:

Close - just decided I better not say too much and lose my competitive edge.

Any day. Got two that'd be some tough ones to beat out in efficiency for weaning a great calf. Mind you, mine probly wouldn't break any weaning weight records, but they ain't bred to, either.

Have a heifer that weighed 876 when we weaned her calf and the calf weigh 576, it weighed 45 lbs at birth.