How many cows per acre?

Help Support CattleToday:

Uncle Dude

Reaction score
I am wanting to get back in the cattle business after a 25 year absence and had some questions. How many cows do you think I can have per acre? I am in North Ga approx 50 acres and was wondering if 1 cow per acre is a good rule of thumb? These cows will be raising calves too and I need to reserve space for them. Thanks in advance for your response!

depending on how good your grass is you can carry a pair on 1.5acs.so about 30 pairs on 50acs.an if you run out of grass youll be feeding hay before an during the winter.

I know this doesn't sound right. In this environment, it is very possible to make more money on your grass than 50 acres worth of cows. There are several main things working against us. One is the irratic climate. One day is may rain two inches and the next year you may get ten inches. Another is the inability to set market prices for sale barn directed calves. There are several other main issues.

Herefordsire danced around the honest answer. Their is just to many variables for anyone to really give you an bullet proof answer. .

If one of my nephews came to me right now wanting information about getting in to the cow business, he and I would likely sit down and talk for hours.

There is no way you can put that type of thing into a post and these boys have experience - in this climate.

Pasture quality can change a mile away.

There is simply too many variables including weather. One year you are deep in the black and the next year you can be in the red.

What works for me works fine. Some folks in this forum tell me it is all wrong. We each have our own opinions and methods as well as climates.

There is no absolute answer on cows per acre in my opinion.

1982vett":1auegvk7 said:
Herefordsire danced around the honest answer. Their is just to many variables for anyone to really give you an bullet proof answer. .

Good example: In SW Arkansas, we just beat a 100+ year record for July rainfall. Two years ago, we had two years of drought. At the same time, I can drive to Louisiana about an hour south of me and see mega acres of dried up corn that wasn't irrigated.

What is happening is many ranchers that need cash flow are contributing some of their net worth into a pool of assets. There is a big asset grab going on now. The only way I can see to avoid this on the negative side, is to be liquid or get into a niche market like retailing beef to private clientele, etc.

Uncle Dude":1qwmp69n said:
I am wanting to get back in the cattle business after a 25 year absence and had some questions. How many cows do you think I can have per acre? I am in North Ga approx 50 acres and was wondering if 1 cow per acre is a good rule of thumb? These cows will be raising calves too and I need to reserve space for them. Thanks in advance for your response!

I'd say that's a bad rule of thumb.

in north missouri, they claim 1 -1.5 acres will pasture a cow-calf unit through the summer under normal conditions. i figure it is better to stay a little on the light side, than to run out of pasture early.

Uncle Dude":27b32mgz said:

Call your county extension office, or google stocking rate + your county. Unless someone on these boards lives in your area, we have no way of knowing what the stocking rate is.

talldog":3o600oin said:
Red Bull Breeder":3o600oin said:
Start with about 20 and see how it goes.
That's a GOOD starting point !! :)

I agree with this advice. Try you 15 or 20 and gain some knowledge. You go putting 1 to the acre out there and the first little dry spell you'll be hauling hay. Good luck. :D

Latest posts