How many cows do you calve

Help Support CattleToday:

when we have nosey visitors, we get vague with our answers.. I don't have any problem with someone asking how many cows I have though.. you can drive by my place and count them after all.. when It comes to how much money I make... I get defensive though.

Nesikep":5nac8ibu said:
when we have nosey visitors, we get vague with our answers.. I don't have any problem with someone asking how many cows I have though.. you can drive by my place and count them after all.. when It comes to how much money I make... I get defensive though.
me to, dont believe me..................... ask the boss
:(

I have been chastised for this statement before on here, so here I go again. Some fools never learn. I was raised on a cattle farm. Have owned my on for 25 years. I personally don't think there is money to be made on cattle. Atleast not enough to justifye the time and investment. So I don't mind telling people how many I have. Even now I sometimes wean calves that bring $800 to $900. My inputs are higher than ever. What's left on December 31st sure ain't worth bragging about.

150 Breeding cows. 50 of those are registered Limousin, LimFlex & Angus with the remaining 100 commercials being British breds which are currently been used a embryo recipients & joined to a Limo to produce the ultimate crossbred grass finished calf.
Our goal is to breed up the registered females & eventually replace the commercials.

I'm not sure why it is such a big deal to let everyone know how many we calve out. As someone who is just starting to purchase cattle after 10 years, I find it interesting to find out what works for everyone as far as calving goes. I see everyone getting all defensive about the number of cows and not adding WHEN they calve out.

I technically calve ZERO out each year. I let my brother do that. I live in the "city" and we have an "arrangement" that seems to work right now. But he does calve about 300-350 head out each March (heifers) & April (cows). Unfortunately I just bought one that will calve in late January. He wasn't too pleased with that purchase. I might have to keep that one in our back yard in town. haha

He has recently added a 1000 head feedlot to his list of things to keep him busy. He will now fatten up 200 of his steers and has contracts with guys to feed another 800. I believe he charges something like $0.30/day for yardage. Anyway, it works for him.

Around our parts land is getting a little ridiculous in price from the oil boom. I would say average head per ranch in my area is about 100-150. It really doesn't pay to have any less than that. Economies of scale I guess. And I would say 99% of ranchers calve in the later winter or early spring, February 1 through May 15. That is just my opinion though. I welcome any North Dakota ranchers to set me straight. Thanks all.

Bigfoot":1keludkw said:
I have been chastised for this statement before on here, so here I go again. Some fools never learn. I was raised on a cattle farm. Have owned my on for 25 years. I personally don't think there is money to be made on cattle. Atleast not enough to justifye the time and investment. So I don't mind telling people how many I have. Even now I sometimes wean calves that bring $800 to $900. My inputs are higher than ever. What's left on December 31st sure ain't worth bragging about.

You mean there is suppose to be something left at the end of the year?

Guess I better hurry up and make some money. :lol:

glacierridge":1xmug5yk said:
denvermartinfarms":1xmug5yk said:
It don't bother me to be asked what i have, but i do know alot of people that when asked they give some answer like they don't know or something. Why would it be such a secret. I ask some people just because i find it interesting and like to hear about other's cattle.

Sometimes my brother doesn't know because he hasn't been keeping track of the new arrivals and the ones that got the ride, not that it's a secret.
Part of the calving year round problem.
Have to take a census once in a while.
I understand not knowing day to day when buying and selling that's what i do. I just meant that i don't know why someone that knows that they have about 80 or 90 cows would rather lie and say they don't than just give a approximate number or say they would really rather not say. Not really worth over discusing just something that i have never had a problem being asked so i never understood what the deal was.

tom4018":101zvfc1 said:
Bigfoot":101zvfc1 said:

You mean there is suppose to be something left at the end of the year?

Guess I better hurry up and make some money. :lol:

I keep saying too, that it's just another one of my expensive hobbies. :lol:

I've asked others simply out of curiosity. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Same reason I answered the question. Because I dont see the number of head as a status symbol.

One miniature cow, which also happens to be a dwarf. Had to pull her calf last Mar. Hitched up my dachshund and he pulled her right out.

15 cows and 7 bred heiffers . Calve vorm 15 March till 15 june. Also 9 younger heiffers and 2 bulls. On 20 hectares (44 acre ?). All hobby. Enough time left tot have a fulltime job. :cowboy:

Dutchcowboy.

Latest posts