How many cows do you calve

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Just curious what the "average" cow number is, how many cows do you calve each year and what time of year. If you're a feedlot operator, how many do you finish each year.

Supposed to calve 57 next year, 31 in the spring and 26 in the fall. Average size for the province is 20 cows.

Lots of heifers coming up. Hope to be calving around 90 by 2015.

54 cows. Kept 4 hiefers to breed in the spring. The number I background changes from year to year. My goal is two groups of 75 each. I retire in 7 years. I always wanted 100 cows when I retire. The older I get the more I think about cutting back instead of expanding.

We calve 350 cows and usually45-50 heifers, Trying to build numbers, never buy females, feel we do better with the ones we raise do to the fact that they are used to our way of operateing.

We had 15 this fall and will have ten this spring; making 25. We have ten replacements as we sold several cows after weaning.

I have 45 cows with calves on them, and 20 hiefers that will breed in may. And i allways have 150 to 200 calves that i buy at 225 to 300lbs and feed to 800.I also feed 20 bottle calves and wean every 60 days and then feed for 6 months so i have 80 holsteins all the time.

5000 head of of biggest, blackest, super mother, reg. Black Angus cows AI'ed to about 20 of the best and most expensive Simmy bulls I could find! All calve in March and April and breed back right on time, every time! I sell the calves for about $1 a pound over market because everyone want more of my super blackies that eat only 2 lbs of feed a day, and finish out 30 days earlier then any other calf out there!

But I sold out to a guy in Brazil last year and went and bought 27 head of the worst looking, rag tag bunch of cows you could ever find.
It's nice to be the best and be on top, but just for a sort while.

sim.-ang.king":1d5h6oc8 said:
5000 head of of biggest, blackest, super mother, reg. Black Angus cows AI'ed to about 20 of the best and most expensive Simmy bulls I could find! All calve in March and April and breed back right on time, every time! I sell the calves for about $1 a pound over market because everyone want more of my super blackies that eat only 2 lbs of feed a day, and finish out 30 days earlier then any other calf out there!

But I sold out to a guy in Brazil last year and went and bought 27 head of the worst looking, rag tag bunch of cows you could ever find.

Is all this true? That's a pretty awesome story!!

CopeMan":2pvvlhs9 said:
sim.-ang.king":2pvvlhs9 said:

Is all this true? That's a pretty awesome story!!
Yes, all true. And I have some ocean front property for sale in Oklahoma. If you'll buy that....

I have about 20 head of cows, typically keep 3 or 4 replacement heifers, perhaps I leave a bull calf intact and see how he turns out... I calve out from march 5th til april 15th or so usually... I have one cow who likes being late and makes hers in august... she makes up for it by having one of the nicest calves every year. our neighbours calf out about a month earlier, but they have more sun than we do... of the 3 neighbours we have, they have about 60,100, and 100 head... The 60 head guy has heinz 57's, the other has herf/angus, and the other is pretty much only hereford. There's a big ranch not far away that runs 600 head of char/herf/angus too

Latest posts