How many cows can I have?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
Another discussion reminded me of a number of years ago when my wife's aunt and uncle bought a place in the country a few miles outside of Paige, TX. They're good people, but they'd both spent their whole lives in the city and didn't have a clue about living in the country. Shortly after buying the place they asked me how many cows they could have on it. Of course I told them I couldn't give them a good answer without seeing the place. However, I told them that in that part of the country they could probably run one cow-calf pair to every 3-4 acres, assuming it had good grass, but don't do anything until I see the place.

When I did the whole place was a solid yaupon thicket, with just enough of it cleared out for the house and driveway. That made my answer real easy. None. Like I said, they're good folks, but they were disappointed, so they compromised. They got a wire statue of a Longhorn to put in their front yard and called it good.

When we bought our place here, our first 3 cows were brass "cow head" towel hangers.. they've been holding up really well, 30 years old and they work just fine!.. I'll try and get some pics if I remember!

Latest posts