How many cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I have +/- 25 acres in northern AL with a good stand of fescue and white clover. What is the max amount of cattle can I graze this amount of acerage? I'm looking at purchasing a few black angus cattle. Thanks for your inputs.

bks

it all depends on how much feed your willing to buy but a few 4-5 would work for sure if you dident want to buy to much feed but you could put up to 25+ if you had to and had good irrigation year around and so fourth

I can run a cow and a calf per acre. I'm in NW Alabama. I normally feed hay for 75 daysin winter.

I am far from your neck of the woods but, in addition to the good input you have already received, here are a couple of thoughts: Talk with your county extension agent. There are so many variables to consider. Breed of cattle, weather patterns, quality of pasture in the summer months, and so forth. Do you have a good pasture mix of grass and legumes growing? Personally, I do not like to figure out a maximum number; I like having a cushion of sorts and Lord knows lack of rain alone can mess up your math. If forced to spit out a general formula, I'd probably say 2 acres per adult cow. I tend to be conservative about things. Your county agent and local folks who have good looking cattle (and good looking pasture in late summer) are worth listening to. Good luck.

Latest posts