How many can you get in a truck ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43":3p9wfbcd said:
In Goliad County Tx 13 were killed and 10 injured riding in a Ford F250 when a tire blew and the truck crashed into a tree, there were 23 riding in the truck.

I hope it wasn't that old oak "hanging tree" that was in the middle of Goliad. Fear not tho, the names of the recently departed have undoubtedly already been added to the voting rolls of some swing state up north, where evidently, it's perfectly acceptable and legal for dead folks to vote early and vote often.

Keeping this in the cattle scheme of things tho...
Goliad is one of my favorite places to visit. Most people know of the battle of Goliad, but the fight really took place some distance from the town near a little community now called Fannin. After the battle, the survivors were force marched into Goliad where most were executed and the battlefield just grew up with mesquite and sage, all but forgotten, and the site probably would have been lost to history except for a local rancher had the insight to go out and drive a big metal mill spike into thew ground--sticking up about 4'. I haven't looked for it the last few times I went down there, but it was there when I first visited in the late 60s. That battleground is one of the few that hasn't been "commecialized", doesn't get a lot of visitors, is still pretty much 'natural' and you can stand in the middle of it on a fall day, and still let your mind visualize what it must have been like back on that fateful day in 1835--all because a cattleman had a sense way back then to realize that this was hallowed ground.
I'm sure people from that area know more about it than I do, but I thought I'd throw a little history into this one.

Go lay on the monument about 1am next to cemetary and close your eyes. ;-) There are so many stories about what goes on in that area.

I agree, about it being kind of raw still. Its a bit disappointing to go to the Alamo and be in down town SA. You can't feel the full effect because of all the commotion.

A friend had her F250 crew cab truck stolen while at work in Boerne. She looked out her window and saw her truck. Looked back out and it was gone. It took the thieves less than 3 minutes to steal it. It was all on the security camera tape.

Anyhow, she got a call that her truck had been recovered. It was involved in a high speed chase in South Texas and ended up wrecked in a pasture. The police told her that illegal immigrants scattered like quail when it wrecked. It was totaled. The console and passenger seat had been removed so the the maximum number of people could be crammed in it. The frame was bent and the huisache and mesquite thorns did a number on the paint.

I do feel sorry in a way for the people who resort to coyotes to try to come to America to work. Their life is not good in Mexico and the coyotes charge them a fortune to get here. I know people who are illegal who are good hard working folks. Granted, there are the ones who are the gangsta type that come to cause trouble and more. They usually are not the type to pay a coyote, rather they are the coyote.

chippie":2kl6036r said:
I do feel sorry in a way for the people who resort to coyotes to try to come to America to work. Their life is not good in Mexico and the coyotes charge them a fortune to get here. I know people who are illegal who are good hard working folks. Granted, there are the ones who are the gangsta type that come to cause trouble and more. They usually are not the type to pay a coyote, rather they are the coyote.
If you ever get down deep into the interior of Mexico and see some of the living conditions, just about anything they live in and any job they get is better than what the left in Mexico.

I have been told about the conditions. The people that I know send most of their earnings back home to their family (parents, siblings, wives & children). We used to have quite a bit of wheeled horse drawn equipment. My husband gave several implements to a friend to take back home to Mexico. He was so excited because they were going to make his father's farming much easier. He had been using a walking plow.