How many calves on an acre?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Ive got about an acre of land that I want to put some calves on. I wanna run some bottle calves on it , gonna keep them until they get to about 400 to 500 lbs and sell them and start again. My question is what is the maximum amount of bottle calves I can run on an acre of land.

If they're gonna run free on that acre you can put as many as you feel like feeding. All they'll do is drink, sleep and walk around a bit. Better have a system to know who's had a bottle and who's still in line. I hate working with bottle calves so I wouldn't have many...

My question is what is the maximum amount of bottle calves I can run on an acre of land.

Let's see....There's 43,560 sq.ft. in an acre....and a calf would take up about 6 sq. ft.

43,560 divided by 6 = 7,260

But I would only put about half that many so that they have room to move around.......... ;-)

MikeC":2e3jdtmg said:
My question is what is the maximum amount of bottle calves I can run on an acre of land.

Let's see....There's 43,560 sq.ft. in an acre....and a calf would take up about 6 sq. ft.

43,560 divided by 6 = 7,260

But I would only put about half that many so that they have room to move around.......... ;-)

Now that would be a well fertilized acre of land.

i wouldnt put more than 6 or 8 bottle babies to an ac.id put them in pens till they are weaned an on feed good.then turn them out an feed them grain an let them eat grass.

I plan on selling all I get, make keep 1 or 2 for the beef. Id like to run bout 10 to 15 head if Ive got enough land to do. I think I do have enough but wasnt sure.

If you stack them tight in there, you WILL lose a few. Trust me, I learned the hard way. :nod:

mississippicalf":39655zzj said:
I plan on selling all I get, make keep 1 or 2 for the beef. Id like to run bout 10 to 15 head if Ive got enough land to do. I think I do have enough but wasnt sure.

I saw it around here somewhere, but I think people were having a 30-40% mortality rate with those things.

The Bachelor":n53jvw9p said:
mississippicalf":n53jvw9p said:

I saw it around here somewhere, but I think people were having a 30-40% mortality rate with those things.

30-40% :shock: :shock: :shock: I would give it up on the first try... :???:

Latest posts