How many breeds do we need?

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnman":176bojyu said:
If it was Charolais causing decline in demand, then tell me why demand didn't drop sooner, considering Charolais came here in about 1936.

Sniff somewhere else, ollie. If you want to debate, then debate. If you want to cast disparity, and make insinuations do it somewhere else. Last time I checked, you don't have any address or info on your profile either.

mtnman
Just an observation Mtnman. I don't particularly want to debate. I just believe in the use of ultrasound in this area. You don't. Time will surely prove one of us stupid, maybe both.

Ignorant, maybe, but not stupid.

Ignorance is just a lack of information, and that is what we have on this issue, so I am cautious. I have seen a silver bullet yet in regards to beef cattle, except of course for a good crossbreeding program.

I still find it interesting that you don't believe much in EPD, but you do believe in this other kind of unexplainable pseudo-science.

mtnman

mtnman":3uig2cpu said:
I still find it interesting that you don't believe much in EPD, but you do believe in this other kind of unexplainable pseudo-science.

mtnman
Tell you what I'll do. You find a herd of commercial cows. You define the breeding goal. You find the best epd bull to meet your breeding goal. I'll use a bull that I choose . We'll pick a reputable cattleman to evaluate our success, and I'll beat you every time.

That is a laugh. I've no need, ollie.

A person convinced against his will, is of the same opinion, still.

mtnman

As I thought.
Hard for a man" with out a leg to stand on " to take a stand.
It is a standing offer. If you ever get convinced of your own conviction. Pm me or make it a public offer.

Wewild":3njoot2f said:
Anybody got a link about the consumer dissatisfaction with lean beef from the 70's?????? I'd like to read it.

Some like lean some like the little flakes of fat. I personally like the little flakes of fat. I believe there will always be a market for both but marbled beef will always be in greater demand. Not trying to be mean but your statements are just as partisan.
Someone disagrees with you and your answer is don't discuss this with me any more. Sitting pretty high on that horse aren't you.

Tod Dague":16oi4omk said:
Wewild":16oi4omk said:
Anybody got a link about the consumer dissatisfaction with lean beef from the 70's?????? I'd like to read it.

Some like lean some like the little flakes of fat. I personally like the little flakes of fat. I believe there will always be a market for both but marbled beef will always be in greater demand. Not trying to be mean but your statements are just as partisan.
Someone disagrees with you and your answer is don't discuss this with me any more. Sitting pretty high on that horse aren't you.

I don't think it was between me and you. I think Jake and I came to a mutual respect for each others opinions off the boards. Whether we agree with each other or not. I think Jake can take care of himself.

You got an answer for the question asked or are you just trying to stir the pot?

Wewild":16jdvndq said:
Tod Dague":16jdvndq said:
Wewild":16jdvndq said:

I don't think it was between me and you. I think Jake and I came to a mutual respect for each others opinions off the boards. Whether we agree with each other or not. I think Jake can take care of himself.

You got an answer for the question asked or are you just trying to stir the pot?

No, just wanted to point out what a hypocrite you were. ;-)

You seem to believe that we will go in the direction of lean beef. I am curious as to what is bringing you to this conclusion? I'm not extremely up on the markets but I haven't seen a significant shift to the lean markets lately. I have seen a shift toward natural and grass fed beef, but I believe that has to do more with BSE and people not wanting all the stuff that is dumped into cattle in their beef.

Tod Dague":20ljgypy said:
Wewild":20ljgypy said:
Tod Dague":20ljgypy said:
Wewild":20ljgypy said:

You seem to believe that we will go in the direction of lean beef. I am curious as to what is bringing you to this conclusion? I'm not extremely up on the markets but I haven't seen a significant shift to the lean markets lately. I have seen a shift toward natural and grass fed beef, but I believe that has to do more with BSE and people not wanting all the stuff that is dumped into cattle in their beef.

I don't think I've been a name caller on this forum. I'll have to respond to being a hypocrite when I can do it in a civil manner.

A'int much into calling people names on the phone or on the net.

You having a bad day??????

Wewild":3fnpfnez said:
Tod Dague":3fnpfnez said:
Tod Dague":3fnpfnez said:

I don't think I've been a name caller on this forum. I'll have to respond to being a hypocrite when I can do it in a civil manner.

A'int much into calling people names on the phone or on the net.

You having a bad day??????

Perhaps. ;-)

You have an interesting way of thinking, ollie.

You made the challenge, first, so you automatically win? Your challenge has been made, and answered numerous times.

Usually, it is about the Milk EPD and how they don't work. Then some guy actually mates cows to see if they do, then BANG, guess what? They actually work, and this for an EPD that is difficult to predict. Makes it that much easier to see how well the other EPD work, doesn't it?

I don't see you voluntering any cows for your little project, you made the challenge, maybe you should be the one to come up with the cows? I'm pretty convinced they work for what they were designed to do, why would I have any need to test it again, when it has already been tested?

I still like your tactic though, I'm trying to think of one of these "automatic winner" challenges. Wait, here's one, why don't you try to find me one single, paper where EPD we shown to NOT work?

mtnman

Why would I care if cow x , compared to cow y , based from pedigrees and management styles across the nation has a 4lb heavier ww derived from the amount of milk she produces. Or at least has a .36 accuracy to be so. What good question does this information answer. Can I not assume there are more individual differences from full sisters than that? I am out of this whole discussion. You can love koomarie, epd's , and hate tenderness information derived from ultrasound. I don't care.You can love exotics or F1's or love strait angus , I don't careYou can think I am ignorant if you want. I don't care.You run your program , if you have one, and I'll run mine.

What did Abe Lincoln say, "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

mtnman