how many bred cows! future pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How many mid to late bred cows would you all suggest to clear 5 acres of palmetto and scrub oak? Plan is to stock it heavy, calve out, hold back the best to let the cows clear it. We will sell probably at weaning, so about a year from now. Eventually want to have a total of max 10 head for the total of 10 acres. Doable stocking rate down here. Maybe just 6 head...we'll see how it goes. We'll have either liquid tubs or heavy cubes to get them to eat it down good.

I should mention that the palmettos is 8-10 ft high and so thick you can't walk thru it

There's no way 1 will cut it, and I'm not puttin up field fence just for some stinky azz goats

you can try 10 cows,but as you said youll have to feed them.an hope they eat it down.

I am a real dummy when it comes to palmettos but will the cows eat them. The ones I have seen seem really tough. Are they just leaves or big trunks? Even a dozer has a hard time with the big ones.

Mainly leaves, but the cows love them. They will stick their heads thru fence to get to em, even with hay, grass and cubes

The idea is to stock it heavy enough to keep the leaves off, then clear the roots with the tractor

Latest posts