How many acres in this field.

Help Support CattleToday:

wlhedges

Reaction score
Is there someway to calculate the acres in a field that measures 2116 feet around the outside, It's not a square field, 420' on bottom, 653' on right side, 148' on top 340' to a pin on the left side of field, and from that pin, 555' back to botton left of field.

If you assume the field is square and each side is 529 feet, it would be 6.4 acres.

I tried to draw it out with your dimensions making some assumptions on the angles and I came up with 7.2 acres.

Without knowing the angles, I think it will be tough to get a exact number.

MShaffer":2rxfvvn1 said:
If you assume the field is square and each side is 529 feet, it would be 6.4 acres.

I tried to draw it out with your dimensions making some assumptions on the angles and I came up with 7.2 acres.

Without knowing the angles, I think it will be tough to get a exact number.
I came up with 6.42

It's nice having the areal maps of your property. Farm Service will have the maps and acres.

mnmtranching":16uaxotj said:
It's nice having the areal maps of your property. Farm Service will have the maps and acres.

It works great for calculating acreage on flat land.

The gas company put in a pipe line on leased property and took a long time doing it. When they put the fences back, the crew who took them down was gone. It was a different group and they didn't put the lane fences back. Just the perimiter. Those pics showed the old fences.

My property adjoins the leased property and the representative there was telling their group that those fences never existed. That was essentially calling me a liar. I had been through it with this guy many times when their trailers took out my corner posts. Their equipment haulers have plenty of room but no experience apparently. I was sick of it. So when he called me a liar I told him to get off of my property. He was standing in my caliche road and telling me he wasn't on my property. It got pretty ugly.

After the rest of the folks convinced him to go to the county road, I pulled out the topographical photos and showed them the fences the guy said never existed. I had google earth, microsoft terraserver, and DFW maps internet photos. They got all apologetic and put things back the way they were.

If it had not been for those photos, who knows what would have happened.

By my figures, laying it out with your dimensions the angled part that is 340 ft. will push the 555 ft side out of parallel with the right hand side. That is assuming you have a 90 degree corner at the lower right. Using that I come up with 6.38 acres.

kb5iod":3hn2vshg said:
tncattle":3hn2vshg said:
kb5iod":3hn2vshg said:

that is a neat site but I couldn't figure out to get it to tell how many acres were in a field. It would just measure the distance around the field.

When you get back to the point you started from, double click the last connecting point.

I did and it just gave me the total distance from start to finish, not acres.

tncattle":31okt5dx said:
I did and it just gave me the total distance from start to finish, not acres.

Are you using the AOI buttons on the toolbar? Use the one on the far right for irregular shaped areas. Outline the area and double click the last point.

UncleD":1zhad4pn said:
By my figures, laying it out with your dimensions the angled part that is 340 ft. will push the 555 ft side out of parallel with the right hand side. That is assuming you have a 90 degree corner at the lower right. Using that I come up with 6.38 acres.

I have a program that I use to determine acreage by useing a legal discription. Using the just the coordinates that you given us, I have to agree with UncleD. I came up with 6.3841 acres or 278092 Sq Feet

I am currently at the beach, if you would like send me a pm with your e-mail address and when i get back I will e-mail you this print our of a map.

Latest posts