how long????

Help Support CattleToday:

branxchar&charx

Reaction score
how long will a straw of bull semen last if stored properly?
how long before a heifer comes into heat should i have the straw(s) delivered?

Had a bull breeder up here inherit some straws from the 1970's and they still seemed to get the job done. He had some from a heavily used hereford bull(the name escapes me) and the calf was born 30 years after the semen was stored. A little short but healthy enough.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1zr7687d said:
Had a bull breeder up here inherit some straws from the 1970's and they still seemed to get the job done. He had some from a heavily used hereford bull(the name escapes me) and the calf was born 30 years after the semen was stored. A little short but healthy enough.
A little short was probaly due to the Genetics.

Cattle Rack Rancher":2dk1u06k said:

Properly put up and stored, semen will last almost indefinitly. In the 80's we were using a Jersey bull on a neghbor girls cow. The bull had been dead since the 30's. It was awkward to use because nobody remembered or had ever seen "magic wands". That was the way it was pout up back then.

dun

Latest posts