How long

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
How long do I have to keep my 4 month old Holstein on grain. I just want to grass feed my dairy cows. I was told a Holstein has to be on grain until they are 9 months old. Is this true. I know I will not get the same amount of milk from grass fed cows, but I do not need quantity.

lancemart":13gwlze0 said:
How long do I have to keep my 4 month old Holstein on grain. I just want to grass feed my dairy cows. I was told a Holstein has to be on grain until they are 9 months old. Is this true. I know I will not get the same amount of milk from grass fed cows, but I do not need quantity.

Most Holsteins on dairies that are essential for replacements and milk are on grain,silage,hay and beet pulp their whole lives unless they are dry and then the ration changes.

As long as your calf received the proper nutrition and milk the last 4 months go a head and put her on GOOD quality grass.If they are just for you don't worry about it because you are not trying to sell them to somebody who has higher expectations.

To get the calf to grow to ti's potentail it's going to need grain until at least the normal weaning age and longer is better. Grass has to be awfully special to have enough nutrition to raise any calf on grass alone and for that matter for a cow to milk well enough to make it beneficial having a Holstein instead of a beef breed.

I see you are in Rhode Island , your grass will soon be over for this year , just keep her on grain and hay(and silage if you have it) until spring when the grass is good again , then she'll be close to year old and have a pretty good start. You can let her out on the grass now but I wouldn't take the grain away from her .

Latest posts