How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

I really don't think the genetics will go away.
The folks that are breeding "mini's" are doing it to supply other folks who want them. They are more affordable. More economical.
To feed and slaughter!
U can slaughter a 750lb FAT mini and have plenty of room in your freezer for the meat. And it don't break the bank to do it. The only "feedlot" they go to, is someone's small farm.
With more and more folks living on small acreages, they can supply themselves with a quality product and feed themselves. Much like our parents and grandparents used to do!

Back to my original post, when they get tired of feeding them the genetics will still be out there. And anyone that doesn't believe it's a fad are wearing the blinders.

What does it matter? Is this costing you money or somehow confusing people in your market what cattle are? Does it really matter how long this fad or trend lasts? Again, how is this affecting you?

What does it matter? Is this costing you money or somehow confusing people in your market what cattle are? Does it really matter how long this fad or trend lasts? Again, how is this affecting you?
Yes it could effect the cattle industry if not me personally. Lots of younger or newer cattle people may not be able to recognize what they are buying until it doesn't grow.

I really don't think the genetics will go away.
The folks that are breeding "mini's" are doing it to supply other folks who want them. They are more affordable. More economical.
To feed and slaughter!
U can slaughter a 750lb FAT mini and have plenty of room in your freezer for the meat. And it don't break the bank to do it. The only "feedlot" they go to, is someone's small farm.
With more and more folks living on small acreages, they can supply themselves with a quality product and feed themselves. Much like our parents and grandparents used to do!
I agree with the sentiment here. Smaller breeds will stick around as there is a niche for em. Now, will highlands continue to go for thousands for one animal? Probably not. and i doubt it will bottom out tomorrow. but most people like em for their "cuteness" and to some "its only money."🤑

I did a search and the "mini" talk has been around awhile. Wonder how this individual's endeavor worked out?

I agree with the sentiment here. Smaller breeds will stick around as there is a niche for em. Now, will highlands continue to go for thousands for one animal? Probably not. and i doubt it will bottom out tomorrow. but most people like em for their "cuteness" and to some "its only money."🤑

I did a search and the "mini" talk has been around awhile. Wonder how this individual's endeavor worked out?
For all the hate dexters get (mostly warranted), the milking dexters aren't a bad "family cow" for those who couldn't get rid of of enough milk and don't have any want, need or time to put extra calves on a full sized dairy cow to go shares with.

My wife and babies have been barking up my tree about wanting a milking cow, but all I can think about is that I've had milking cows and they haven't, and I'm not 100% certain but there's got to be a better use of my time than going back to hauling damn pails of milk back up to the house in the butt crack of the morning or the haze of evening, then having to get the sumbeeches poured into something so every critter on earth doesn't end up on the porch after milk, all so I can throw half of it away or have to get hogs to drink it because even in today's inflated market, with my damn luck I guarantee you I won't find a single person to take the shite even for free. Rant over.

Make sure one's a bull. I'm sure he'll think it's hilarious...
This was in the discussion. They're all over the place right now for $350-$500, I'm not a rich man but I do alright and the other guy in the discussion is a well paid engineer, we've been wondering if this is too nefarious even for us (our friend group gets up to some bad pranks, ask our buddy who didn't know we had the firing pin from his hunting rifle for several weeks).

If you think reined cow horses or cutters are fluffy haired transgendered shows you have either never been to one or not competed. If you can win in those events you better be pretty good, pretty tough and know what to do and well mounted on a horse that took years to train to compete at that level. These aren't halter horses or just pets and the competition is as tough as it gets
We showed horses through the 60's and 70's. When big money got involved in 80's the performance of both horses and top notch training skyrocketed. The only style that digressed in my Optus the western pleasure style. I just never liked seeing the nose 12" off the ground and reins drooping. Just not the way I would ever ride a horse

This was in the discussion. They're all over the place right now for $350-$500, I'm not a rich man but I do alright and the other guy in the discussion is a well paid engineer, we've been wondering if this is too nefarious even for us (our friend group gets up to some bad pranks, ask our buddy who didn't know we had the firing pin from his hunting rifle for several weeks).
I'd love to do a "friends & family clay pigeon shoot"... provide the shells for everybody, and load blanks into the box for a select few... son and son-in-law in particular. ;)

Going to sort of take this back to mini's. Reading through this I'm wondering if there is a definite good use for the mini's in today's world. As noted people are leaving the city in droves for sanity of the country. I am one of those, raised on a dairy, started showing horses the on to racing, then life and work took me off the farm. 25 years later retiring is near, 100 acres was reasonable and here I am with my 25 momma cows and we keep the calves as stockers. Point is I could run twice that many mini's if I could tie in with a local meat market to sell halves or quarters to all these city folks coming with their 2 acres. Just a thought for conversation

there
Going to sort of take this back to mini's. Reading through this I'm wondering if there is a definite good use for the mini's in today's world. As noted people are leaving the city in droves for sanity of the country. I am one of those, raised on a dairy, started showing horses the on to racing, then life and work took me off the farm. 25 years later retiring is near, 100 acres was reasonable and here I am with my 25 momma cows and we keep the calves as stockers. Point is I could run twice that many mini's if I could tie in with a local meat market to sell halves or quarters to all these city folks coming with their 2 acres. Just a thought for conversation
I think you will do well if you cultivate the market

1/4 or even 1/2 of a 400lb mini isn't going to be much. But if you havevthe population and the slaughter facilities nearby you might have the niche market.

1/4 or even 1/2 of a 400lb mini isn't going to be much. But if you havevthe population and the slaughter facilities nearby you might have the niche market.
I think the better choice on the market would be to make sure everyone has one or 2 on their little ranchette to look at feed and eat the grass while saying "aren't they cute"

Kenny's point was potential genetic effect from what he sees as an explosive growth in his area and in his travels.
It needs to be put in perspective with what is happening in the top 10 or 11 beef producing states, where minis are just a fad.
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Nebraska
South Dakota
Kansas
Montana
North Dakota
Kentucky
Arkansas
Florida

Kenny's point was potential genetic effect from what he sees as an explosive growth in his area and in his travels.
It needs to be put in perspective with what is happening in the top 10 or 11 beef producing states, where minis are just a fad.
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Nebraska
South Dakota
Kansas
Montana
North Dakota
Kentucky
Arkansas
Florida
Exactly

There are a lot of cows and a lot of people who eat beef. For the large majority of those cattle, two important issues are quality and efficiency. Did the customer enjoy eating it and did it finish well compared to the cost of producing it. Most cattle are not sold on Craigslist, grown out on a 10 acre operation or processed in a small facility. There are pretty defined criteria and expectations for the majority of cattle.

For the rest, there are no rules. Demand may be for many reasons, but probably not maximizing profit over the long term. Everyone is free to dream and romanticize their endeavor and do what feels good. Some might find a niche market or take advantage of other people's dreams and end up coming out ok. Others might not, but still enjoy what they want to do.

But these minor breeds are minor for a reason - they don't meet the criteria for the majority mainstream cattle. If they did, they would not be minor. If they produced very good quality product at a very good efficiency and were very adaptable to most environments, they would have a larger share of the market. Market share is ultimately determined by profitability and demand.

Most pigs are white animals that all look very similar. Reason is that they best fit the market and give the best return. But there will be people producing kunekune pigs and having some success with them. But they will be a very small percentage of the pork production. Not likely that kunekune pigs will capture 1% of the pork market, but if someone can sell one for $2000, more power to them. But not likely to do that for a large quantity for a long time.

It's really not so darn much to puzzle over, in my opinion. I have no idea when people started really getting into the mini thing, but I remember seeing a few as far back as 20 years ago. People like novelties, there's a gorillion dogs, cats, donkeys, horses, etc in this country alone that aren't worth a flip other than for looking at or maybe getting a little light use out of them. The people who like the minis want cute pets they can eat one of every now and again. I don't believe they're going to contaminate the gene pool, especially not if the people worried about it are vigilant. There's a few "producers" of minis out there that might bump up the numbers in circulation, but that's akin to the dudes with 10 German Shepherds that they train and breed out of; they're still making a niche thing that will end up in the same types of hands 9 out of 10 times.

I personally don't see the real benefit to raising mini cattle for beef. Looks like to me it would be more expensive up front, taking into consideration the lower amount of end product, but then you'd still have the same kill fee and price per pound of hanging weight. I would rather feed out a normal sized beef and sell it by the half or quarter as to feed out the smaller cattle, and have to deal with those small amounts.

Depends on what your definition of mini is? If your definition is a 200-400 pound then that isn't the widely accepted definition of mini that is a micro mini. Weight is not a criteria for mini it is height.
A lot of cattle fit into the under 42 inch at 2 years old for a heifer/cow.
I think you are seeing a dramatic turn in where many want their food to come from. The covid lockdown has gotten a lot more people to realize that their food doesn't just show up in stores.
I think you will see a growing demand to buy local , know where you food comes from. Will there always be a mainstream beef market yes. But I see numerous niche markets as well. Lots of discussion on here about who will take over next generation ranching. The consolidation of the beef market will continue pushing smaller ranchers to either find alternative outlets or sell out and only very large and corporate ranches will feed the mainstream demand.
Like it or not the current market is asking for smaller portions and smaller cuts of meat.
Those who can't raise matched semi loads of beef will look for other markets. Anyone who has tried to book a kill date with there butcher knows there is a increased demand for locally produced beef.

Latest posts