How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

If you can win in those events you better be pretty good, pretty tough and know what to do and well mounted on a horse that took years to train to compete at that level.
Nothing but entertainment serving no purpose of necessity.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde 1854-1900
Other than demonstrating natural ability of the animal and the rider... which was always how one chose either a horse to purchase for use... or a horse to potentially use as breeding stock. Only those with natural abilities, be that either genetic physical capability, or a natural ability to be trained well, will rise to the top.

kind of like all the people that raise cattle because they enjoy it even if they don't make much money or even lose some, or those that work the land because it's been in the family for generations and it's no longer real profitable but they love it anyways, or those that go take the kids fishing in a boat they make payments on and even though it would be cheaper to go to a seafood restaurant they just enjoy being with the kids, or those that just seem to find some kind joy in disparaging others on a forum because they either don't have a lot going on or they just enjoy that.
All of those things are entertainment of a sort but never a real necessity any more.

Bye the way Oscar Wilde was a playwright and a poet who created things that that were positively unnecessary but people felt it was important to either go to his plays or read his works, strictly for enjoyment, but I doubt if it was a necessity but at least he had a little insight on himself

With the craze of mini Highlanders, Belties, Dexter's, Zebu, and many others how long will it take to get rid of these genetics when the craze is over. It will crash just like the ostrich but many of these are being crossed where ostrich were not.
You should be buying as many as you can and sending to kill plant to do your part for the industry. 😊

kind of like all the people that raise cattle because they enjoy it even if they don't make much money or even lose some, or those that work the land because it's been in the family for generations and it's no longer real profitable but they love it anyways, or those that go take the kids fishing in a boat they make payments on and even though it would be cheaper to go to a seafood restaurant they just enjoy being with the kids, or those that just seem to find some kind joy in disparaging others on a forum because they either don't have a lot going on or they just enjoy that.
All of those things are entertainment of a sort but never a real necessity any more.

Bye the way Oscar Wilde was a playwright and a poet who created things that that were positively unnecessary but people felt it was important to either go to his plays or read his works, strictly for enjoyment, but I doubt if it was a necessity but at least he had a little insight on himself
So true.
In my grandpas era they could buy a place live off of it and pay for it.
Today, if someone gave you a place you couldn't make a living off of it.
A lot of small ranches (1-several hundred acres) are bought for investment/recreation, to make money off of the land value, not what you can grow on it.
Put a few cows for ag exemption or wildlife exemption.

Don't let fact get in the way of your beliefs
Yes people were smarter in the past they raised animals that fit the climate and didn't get involved in things like the frame race ect.
Two strains or types of highlands existed depending on their environment. On mainland Scotland they were larger and mostly red.
On the smaller islands they were smaller "mini" and most were black.

While not Highlands, the Shetland has always been a "mini" breed, and is still popular as a crofter cow. The commercial breeders discovered that the Shetland has a very wide pelvis and can calve a continental cross without assistance, this led to the breed almost becoming extinct, and had to be protected by the rare breeds society, keeping larger numbers of small cows, while selling good sized weaners had been a winning method for almost three decades - the problem was, nobody was breeding replacements.

I think you will see the heritage type breeds increasing in the foreseeable future for a number of reasons. I think those who want to raise cattle and can't raise the huge numbers necessary to be profitable will continue to seek other ways to continue.
I thing the smaller ranchers will be pushed in the direction of , regenerative agriculture, direct to consumer, grass feed, local food , food security ect.
If you don't these methods aren't already having distinct effect already just look at the booking backlogs of almost every local butcher shop.

You should be buying as many as you can and sending to kill plant to do your part for the industry. 😊
I'm afraid the cutout value isn't there. Probably cost $20 a pound live. So $40 on the rail. Selling at $1.90 hanging just doesn't figure out.
How about I ship a few loads to you. The long hair will protect them up there. Maybe be bear food.

Since the "mini highland " as you call it has a documented history of almost a thousand years I don't think they are going anywhere any time soon.
Not saying that you are wrong but I have been handling cattle for over 50 years and never seen a mini until recently. Seen a couple dwarfs but they were usually disposed of soon after birth.

Not saying that you are wrong but I have been handling cattle for over 50 years and never seen a mini until recently.
Like I said before don't let science , peer reviewed research or historical facts get in the way of your opinion.
Believe what you want. Believe that the earth is flat because you have never been in space to see if it is round or flat. It won't change the facts.

550 cows were preg checked by the vet one morning before lunchtime (1 pm). No way I can imagine it getting done without the 3 people on horseback sorting and moving cows in the big pen. The first time I saw a hydraulic squeeze chute.

Like I said before don't let science , peer reviewed research or historical facts get in the way of your opinion.
Believe what you want. Believe that the earth is flat because you have never been in space to see if it is round or flat. It won't change the facts.
I wouldn't wave that "peer review" flag too high, there. I've seen a lot of information claimed as being peer reviewed and the people doing the reviewing were giving their endorsements outside of their educational and life experience fields of study. The vegan fanatics have all kinds of info endorsed by physicists and psychologists, those names and credentials on information about animal agriculture.

Peer review ain't what it used to be...

And this changes the facts how?🙄
You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink!
Hey, you provided good information and changed my perspective. I'm just saying that the practice of peer review has taken a hit lately. It isn't as respected as it once was as it has been corrupted. You can take it as good information or not, your choice. Again, the information you provided was well received by me.

LOL... and I've led horses to water but never been able to make them drink. (farm humor)

With the craze of mini Highlanders, Belties, Dexter's, Zebu, and many others how long will it take to get rid of these genetics when the craze is over. It will crash just like the ostrich but many of these are being crossed where ostrich were not.
It could be that the craze doesn't go away, but becomes the Norm. The volatile political ends of Farming and Cattle might lose out to mini cattle that set your ESG scores in check.

The minis are a hit for the hippie homesteader. Normally I'd be for something that spreads cattle around and look at them as an entry level, but I do see those mini genetics getting into herds of those just learning the cattle ropes.

Not being political, just looking at the question with a forward approach.

To be fair (if that is any priority), most cattle 100 years or so ago were way more mini than those of today. Cattle that weigh 300 and 400 pounds do not represent the mainstream cattle of today - whether gauged by numbers, acceptance, efficiency or demand. If someone wants a small animal to slaughter for their small freezer, they would probably do better with a pig.

Whether the earth is round or flat is still debated. Those who live in some sections of Florida and Illinois can make a compelling argument that it is flat. Those who have never seen modern cattle may think that tiny cattle are normal. But it ain't so.

To be fair (if that is any priority), most cattle 100 years or so ago were way more mini than those of today. Cattle that weigh 300 and 400 pounds do not represent the mainstream cattle of today - whether gauged by numbers, acceptance, efficiency or demand. If someone wants a small animal to slaughter for their small freezer, they would probably do better with a pig.

Whether the earth is round or flat is still debated. Those who live in some sections of Florida and Illinois can make a compelling argument that it is flat. Those who have never seen modern cattle may think that tiny cattle are normal. But it ain't so.
Completely valid. Up until my uncle passed away 2.5 years ago the farm had a closed herd of black angus since 1958. Barn burned in 57. Dairy herd was sold to pay for a new barn and they went Angus at that time.

Grandma was getting old, "Angus" bulls were brought in. Cows died from big calves, blah blah blah. Yes, market cattle today are much larger than just back in the 90's. It's the way things go. Some chase the money and some chase the heritage. Neither are wrong and both will need each other sooner than later I'm afraid.

550 cows were preg checked by the vet one morning before lunchtime (1 pm). No way I can imagine it getting done without the 3 people on horseback sorting and moving cows in the big pen. The first time I saw a hydraulic squeeze chute.
you all are right .... I was wrong... supply and demand is a meaningless fad.
21 million horses in 1915 and horses are more important today than 100 years ago. Interstate commerce would halt without them.
Vets across America are preg checking so many cows daily that pet clinics are closing en mass and every Starbucks has 2 blacksmiths.
:)

Last edited:

Latest posts