How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

With the craze of mini Highlanders, Belties, Dexter's, Zebu, and many others how long will it take to get rid of these genetics when the craze is over. It will crash just like the ostrich but many of these are being crossed where ostrich were not.
The genetics will hang around as long as there are sale barns. When someone decides they can't make money on a niche breed cow, they haul her to the sale. Somebody else will figure they can't lose on a cow that cheap and bring her home. They keep all of her heifer calves because they're not worth anything at the sale barn as feeders. Eventually they go broke or give up and haul them all to the sale barn, where the next person who's light on cash and big on dreams continues the cycle.

The mini zebus still don't go for anything around here but there's a million more than there used to be. Sometimes they get so cheap I get to wondering how much I'd tolerate skinning one out.

I am starting to see full sized zebus around more.

I agree the original breed will be around, it's the mini's that I'm figuring won't last long. But as stated it will be years getting rid of their genes.
Since the "mini highland " as you call it has a documented history of almost a thousand years I don't think they are going anywhere any time soon.

Since the "mini highland " as you call it has a documented history of almost a thousand years I don't think they are going anywhere any time soon.
"MINIs" have documented thousand year history??? Gotta say, I find that hard to believe.

I wouldn't doubt the full sized do... but go back a hundred years and I doubt any mini cattle existed. People were smarter in the past.

With the craze of mini Highlanders, Belties, Dexter's, Zebu, and many others how long will it take to get rid of these genetics when the craze is over.
Free market enterprise will take care of it with supply and demand. Commercial meat producers will quickly cull them, but where they are wanted they will continue, sort of like longhorns and nothing to worry about.

p.s.
horse population in usa peaked at 21 million in 1915
The Morgan horse was one of the more popular due to their versatility and today there are less than 100,000 Morgans in the usa.
supply & demand

Last edited:
"MINIs" have documented thousand year history??? Gotta say, I find that hard to

but go back a hundred years and I doubt any mini cattle existed. People were smarter in the past.
Don't let fact get in the way of your beliefs
Yes people were smarter in the past they raised animals that fit the climate and didn't get involved in things like the frame race ect.
Two strains or types of highlands existed depending on their environment. On mainland Scotland they were larger and mostly red.
On the smaller islands they were smaller "mini" and most were black.

A pic of a modern cattle drive . Recreating the historical route from the isle of skye .
Look at the size of the cattle compared to the cars and people in the pic. And the size and length of horns on the cattle these are adult cattle.
But wait the "mini" highland crazy is just a flash in the pan created in the last few years🙄 don't let historical documented facts get in the way of you opinion.
Can you point out with one of these highlands wouldn't be considered "mini" today?

Attachments

• 5094AA57-F853-45EC-86CC-9642E21847F7.jpeg
    5094AA57-F853-45EC-86CC-9642E21847F7.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Don't let fact get in the way of your beliefs
Yes people were smarter in the past they raised animals that fit the climate and didn't get involved in things like the frame race ect.
Two strains or types of highlands existed depending on their environment. On mainland Scotland they were larger and mostly red.
On the smaller islands they were smaller "mini" and most were black.
That article is pretty cool. My doubt is put to rest.

This: "Robert Trow-Smith said of the weight of seventeenth-century beef carcasses that 'there is grossly insufficient evidence.., to permit any dogmatic statement to be made upon them' and was able to do no more than draw attention to what he considered to be the two extremes; an ox slaughtered in Lincolnshire in 1692 with a live-weight of nearly 32 cwt (3584 lb), and a contemporary estimate which put the live-weight of an Irish ox at 784 lb.", and the later information about carcass weights and dressout percentages was interesting too. I guess I shouldn't have been doubtful. I remember seeing cows on the reservations a long time ago that must have only weighed 600 pounds. Little tiny suckers that were butterball round and dripping fat. Of course back then all European cattle in the States were short and tiny.

I don't think the trend of people moving to small acreage close to cities is going away anytime soon, even as the current lot die or move back to suburbia another lot will move in to take their place so there will always be a demand for cute little cattle or coloured cattle to adorn their paddock and help keep the grass down and fill their freezer. After all this is what they moved there for.

Ken

I don't think the trend of people moving to small acreage close to cities is going away anytime soon, even as the current lot die or move back to suburbia another lot will move in to take their place so there will always be a demand for cute little cattle or coloured cattle to adorn their paddock and help keep the grass down and fill their freezer. After all this is what they moved there for.

Ken
In our country they're moving plenty far enough away from their containment zones to be a nuisance and in some areas a genuine threat to ag.

Free market enterprise will take care of it with supply and demand. Commercial meat producers will quickly cull them, but where they are wanted they will continue, sort of like longhorns and nothing to worry about.

p.s.
horse population in usa peaked at 21 million in 1915
The Morgan horse was one of the more popular due to their versatility and today there are less than 100,000 Morgans in the usa.
supply & demand
Morgans were a general purpose breed and people wanting to compete have gone with specialty bred horses to compete. If you show cow horses, reiners cutters etc, while morgans can kind of do it, they can't compete with a quarter horse, even in that breed there are specialized blood lines, you wouldn't show a Metallic cat or a Woody B Tuff in reining and a Gunner wouldn't compete in cutting

In early 1900s there was 1 horse for every 5 people. Typical farm would have 3 a draft team for work and a carriage horse for going to church, town or visiting family and friends. Morgans were popular because of their versatility for riding or harness. City dwellers preferred faster harness horses such as standardbreds and saddlebreds. For 75 years livestock shows served useful educational purposes.
Sometime after World War II their purpose became nothing more than entertainment, until they evolved. into the fluffy hair
transgender shows of today. :)

Last edited:
In early 1900s there was 1 horse for every 5 people. Typical farm would have 3 a draft team for work and a carriage horse for going to church, town or visiting family and friends. Morgans were popular because of their versatility for riding or harness. City dwellers preferred faster harness horses such as standardbreds and saddlebreds. For 75 years livestock shows served useful educational purposes.
Sometime after World War II their purpose became nothing more than entertainment, until they evolved. into the fluffy hair
transgender shows of today. :)
If you think reined cow horses or cutters are fluffy haired transgendered shows you have either never been to one or not competed. If you can win in those events you better be pretty good, pretty tough and know what to do and well mounted on a horse that took years to train to compete at that level. These aren't halter horses or just pets and the competition is as tough as it gets

Latest posts