how long will a calf live if it cant nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
i kow..odd quesion but i got to thinking bout it when i had to go loking for one in the pouring rain last nite. i kow the hiefer(2 day) is sucking cuz mommas bag is beyond huge...beyond diary huge even...and a cpl teats are smaller than the oters...curious question is all

hey on another note....is that bag compartmented or is it one huge bag with 4 outlets...follow me...is it 4 big bags all attatched or is it one big bag w/4 nipples

4 individual sections, i.e. quarters.
That;s why you can get by with killing a bad quarter and the cow will still function as 3titter.

dieselbeef":16vyds7m said:
i kow..odd quesion but i got to thinking bout it when i had to go loking for one in the pouring rain last nite. i kow the hiefer(2 day) is sucking cuz mommas bag is beyond huge...beyond diary huge even...and a cpl teats are smaller than the oters...curious question is all

Sounds like mama has the calf hid out and is probably fine.

If the calf has nursed, I know for a fact that they can live for 4 days without eating again. And when they do get back to eating they do fine.

thanks dun..thats what i thought.

calfs fine. was cold and rainy and i was a little concerned cuz mommas bag is so big but the hieffers fine

first heiffer in 2 yrs. outta 10 calves..im small time what can i say.

just some stuff to think about ridin in the thunderstorm bout dark last nite so i figured id post up. anyways next time i think im gonna git em in the past closer to the house.
youd think it wouldnt be hard to find her on only 50 acres but ..i had to wait for momma to lead me back to her after she came in for her feed bucket

dieselbeef":38izj0vg said:
thanks dun..thats what i thought.

calfs fine. was cold and rainy and i was a little concerned cuz mommas bag is so big but the hieffers fine

first heiffer in 2 yrs. outta 10 calves..im small time what can i say.

just some stuff to think about ridin in the thunderstorm bout dark last nite so i figured id post up. anyways next time i think im gonna git em in the past closer to the house.
youd think it wouldnt be hard to find her on only 50 acres but ..i had to wait for momma to lead me back to her after she came in for her feed bucket

Ours got spooked and ran off to the neighbors through several barbed wire fences and spent 4 days in the woods a mile from the cow. I jumped him once that last morning and he disappeared. A couple of hours later he was back with his mother.