How long to settle?

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
AI'd a few heifers on April 22nd. I want to trailer them to another pasture 30 miles away but am concerned about stress affecting their settling. Anyone have any thoughts on how long I should wait in order for this move to not affect their chances of settling?

If you cant leave them for 45 days then we move ours within the first three days after breeding and then let them be for the summer.

Jeff

You all are saying wait 45 days post AI...

Does this hold true with live cover as well?
I have some (15 mo/old) heifers that have been with the bull about a month but I was wanting to start breaking them (for our national show)... I was going to HOPE that they "took" on first heat and then just throw them back out with him if I observed any subsequent heats...BUT...in light of this post I'm wondering if I've screwed up doing it this way...do they settle/stay a lot easier with live cover?

I think it is probably like human conception through AI. Take it easy the first 24-48 hours and then resume life as normal, but if you have never ran a marathon before don't start one now.

Dcara unless you have a bull to cover them next heat I suggest you keep them close to observe any heats so you can AI them again .

Wisteria I would go ahead and work them and do like you have planned if they come into heat.

Wisteria Farms":1rz9g6sv said:
You all are saying wait 45 days post AI...

Does this hold true with live cover as well?
I have some (15 mo/old) heifers that have been with the bull about a month but I was wanting to start breaking them (for our national show)... I was going to HOPE that they "took" on first heat and then just throw them back out with him if I observed any subsequent heats...BUT...in light of this post I'm wondering if I've screwed up doing it this way...do they settle/stay a lot easier with live cover?

They settle easier with live cover because the bull will breed the heifer multiple times and deposit large amounts of semen. With AI timing is crucial and most straws contain 0.25cc semen and even that is diluted.

They will "stay" exactly the same with live cover and AI. It takes about 28-32 days for the fertilised egg to attach to the membranes of the uterus and its crucial that that timeframe is as close to optimum as possible. So I'd say it was probably not ideal to halterbreak them in that period, but it might very well not have much of an effect in your case depending on how quiet your heifers was to strat with and how much of a struggle the breaking process was.

Knersie,
This is where (I think) I have the advantage...these heifers have already been broke to tie and are used to being petted/rubbed at the hay ring. I knew my timing this year was going to suck with them so I started early in gentling them down. The only think I have now is to get them leading/setting up/etc. They are VERY calm but to be safe I'll wait as long as possible. It just means I'm going to have to work a lot harder in a shorter amount of time but that might be good too...

Wisteria Farms":40dpy32y said:
Also, I think "stay" wasn't the word I was looking for... :oops: but you knew what I meant...thanks!

I can't think of a better word, but I've got the excuse that English isn't my first language. What's your excuse? :lol2:

KNERSIE":2lmnx3jo said:
Wisteria Farms":2lmnx3jo said:
Also, I think "stay" wasn't the word I was looking for... :oops: but you knew what I meant...thanks!

I can't think of a better word, but I've got the excuse that English isn't my first language. What's your excuse? :lol2:
No excuses here...I'm just brain-dead sometimes..haha..but here (on Igenity) Stay means something totally different than a cow that settles and keeps...so I knew by using that word I might get "corrected" on its meaning...thats why I said "thanks" for being able to read my mind and know what I meant.. :lol:

KNERSIE":168a4elb said:
Wisteria Farms":168a4elb said:

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but Knersie what is your first language?

FarmGirl10":1qphosa0 said:
KNERSIE":1qphosa0 said:
Wisteria Farms":1qphosa0 said:

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but Knersie what is your first language?

Afrikaans

Latest posts