How long should I leave bull with cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

TNcowman

Reaction score
I am renting an Angus bull this breeding season that has good genitics. How long should I leave him in to breed out 21 cows? 60,75, 90 days? Thanks

dun":j1cfd29y said:
A minumum of 45 max of 60

dun

I agree, but the time since calving also plays a role as well as if you want to move your calving season.

If you have a set season and every cow has had about 30 days since calving, then go with dun's suggestion.

TNcowman":11kjy49l said:
I am renting an Angus bull this breeding season that has good genitics. How long should I leave him in to breed out 21 cows? 60,75, 90 days? Thanks

45 to 60 days minimum for at least 2 heat cycles.

Also, make sure the bull has all current vaccinations, especially those for STD's, and de-worming. You don't need someone else's problems.

i usually leave the bulls in for 60 days. But, i have been thinking about that lately and it doesn't make much sense.

If i take the bull out after 60 days, and a cow doesn't breed then she goes to the sale. I don't preg test, so this means as soon as I see her in heat she goes, or I have to wait till calving season to find out. Then I take a open cow to the sale which brings open cow price.

But if I left my bulls in say 9 months, I could still set aside a day to put them in. So I would still have a calving season because he would breed as many as he could their first cycle, and then get the rest the next cycle. So after the first 60 days of calving season, I sell all the cows that haven't calved.
Some of the cows that would have been open if I would have taken the bulls out at 60 days are now bred and will bring a better price at the sale.

what do ya'll think of that?
Be honest, I haven't decided to do it yet.

Triple S if you don't do herd health and you ship cows in heat after pulling the bull how do you know that you haven't shipped a pregnant cow showing a false heat?And on the spin side you could be keeping a cystic cow thinking she is in calf.If you preg checked then your 60 day program would work but if you are not going to check then keaping your bull in longer might pay off better for you.It all depends on your calving cycle/season.But you should start preg checking I bet it will save you money in the end.

what do you mean about not doing "herd health"
Do you just mean preg checking?
I have a pretty good herd health program in my opinion

I agree with you about preg checking and that it would be the best bet. But let's face it, I would say the majority of commercial operations don't. (being that the majority is small scale operations) Every cow I ship for showing heat is preg tested at the sale. Its only a small fee and makes me sleep better knowing that I didn't send a good bred cow to slaughter.

I do sort of a combination. I leave the bulls in with the cows just because they are easier to deal with that way. I pull them out shortly after the first calf is born and put them back in on the right date to start calving when I want. I also preg check in the fall after calves are shipped. Any open cows are shipped after preg check. Any late calvers are evaluated and sold when I think I will make the most on them.

One bull and 21 cows.

How often will a cow go into heat?

Would there be anything negative with leaving the bull in with the cows for 90 -100 days, just in case one or two might not have been breed?

triple'S'":1013rsgp said:
what do you mean about not doing "herd health"
Do you just mean preg checking?
I have a pretty good herd health program in my opinion

I agree with you about preg checking and that it would be the best bet. But let's face it, I would say the majority of commercial operations don't. (being that the majority is small scale operations) Every cow I ship for showing heat is preg tested at the sale. Its only a small fee and makes me sleep better knowing that I didn't send a good bred cow to slaughter.

Sorry herd health I meant preg checking just a term we call it around here.So from all you have said then ya leave the bull in longer I think it will probably pay off for you in the end.Some cows might get missed on their first one or two heats after being exposed so this way you're giving them a chance.And a bred cow always gets more than a cull cow.

Cowman,
Re:
I am renting an Angus bull
How long should I leave him in to breed out 21 cows? 60,75, 90 days?
That all depends on your goal. What is your goal?

Without knowing your goal, 60 days should be ample time for 1 bull to breed 21 cows.
See: http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=30
Usually the length of the post-partum interval (PPI, time from calving to the first estrous cycle) is 45 to 55 days in beef cows. If cows are in good body condition at calving, then the PPI would be in the 45 to 50 day range and if in poor condition, the PPI would be longer. First -calf-heifers have a longer PPI compared to mature cows, about 10 days longer if she has no calving difficulty and is in good body condition. If cows are exposed to bulls (bull exposure) after calving, then the PPI is usually shorter by may be as much as 10 days shorter. It has been documented in beef cows that uterine involution is not completed by 20 days post-calving, but the uterus is back to its non-pregnant size by 30 days post-calving. Another 10 or so days is needed to complete uterine involution and be prepared for another pregnancy. I don't think many cows will come into heat (estrus) before 35 day post calving.

if the cows are taking 2-3 heats to rebreed then they are slow breeders. and if they have been cycling before you put the bull in then they are even less fertile. it is harder to keep the bull out than let him run year round, but it is worth it when all your calves are born in 60 days. preg checking pays off for me it is worth every penny, i am not feeding open cows.
one ranch i read about will not keep heifers or cows who don't settle on the first service. that would be hard to do but it might eleminate less fertile cattle.

TNcowman":2y727jl1 said:
Would there be anything negative with leaving the bull in with the cows for 90 -100 days, just in case one or two might not have been breed?

it's always an option, but there are problems with this.

1) you will be calving cows for a longer period of time. 60 days is enough of checking cows twice a day and helping the hard calvers. 90 days is an eternity. if these animals were on 1000 acres, i might wonder , but i doubt you have that in TN for 21 cows. the smaller the acreage, the less likely it is that the bull is out of range.

2) limiting to 60 days is plenty of time for fertile cows to be bred by a fertile bull. any animals that dont get bred in this time are probably less fertile and getting rid of them will improve your herd.

3) you have to make the cows work for you, not the other way around. decide on a system and stick to it. the cows that dont get bred in that time, do not fit your requirements as an employer. this is how you maintain efficiency for yourself and dont get sucked into more and more work.

Latest posts