How long is too long??

Help Support CattleToday:

CowgirlUpNY

Reaction score
My brown swiss got knocked out of top slot about 3 days ago. (thread in the beginners section) He's been extremely mopey, he doesn't come to eat, etc. I can't say that he's not eating, because I don't stand there 24/7, and I'm sure that he must be getting some hay, and grazing. Yesterday, I have him his personal pile of hay to eat. How long is too long to let him go on like this?

CowgirlUpNY":2d8lqc12 said:
My brown swiss got knocked out of top slot about 3 days ago. (thread in the beginners section) He's been extremely mopey, he doesn't come to eat, etc. I can't say that he's not eating, because I don't stand there 24/7, and I'm sure that he must be getting some hay, and grazing. Yesterday, I have him his personal pile of hay to eat. How long is too long to let him go on like this?

How long is too long to let him go on like this?

What would you do? Get him a shrink, show him self esteem videos?

dun

Actually, no, I was thinking more along the lines of 'sale, sale, sale' He's basically a 'p' word. Shhhhhh. We got him the week after my daughter was born as her 'present'. We went through h&high water to keep him alive. (I know the threads are here somewhere) But I'm not that attached that I can't sell him for the 'good of his possible health, or someones freezer'

Just wondering how quickly I should make the decision.

and I guess I should have clarified my question better. How long is too long to let him not eat a substantial amount. Winter is barely breaking here so the grazing is not all that nutritious.

dun":3gj2wrpl said:
CowgirlUpNY":3gj2wrpl said:

How long is too long to let him go on like this?

What would you do? Get him a shrink, show him self esteem videos?

dun

Do you think he would sit through a whole video??

Bez> I really respect your information and advice. If you say he'll be fine, then he can continue to live here. :)

CowgirlUpNY":1qh3o8gp said:
Bez> I really respect your information and advice. If you say he'll be fine, then he can continue to live here. :)

Not being harsh - but remember to not think like a human when you judge an animal.

This is an animal. A pretty stupid one at that. However, a cow will not die from loss of "self esteem".

It can die if it is sick. If it is not eating there may be something else wrong. Hardware? It will run down if so - but does not sound like the prob.

It is likely penned and po'd about life. Go out there and kick it in the @ss and tell it to get on with life - because the alternative is a lot worse. :D

I have actually spoken out loud to cattle and told them "Eat or die - your choice."

Not that it did any good - but I did mean it. And funny, most of them lived.

Trust me - loss of status in the pecking order happens and it will not starve itself.

Have a good one,

Bez>

I do TRY to remember that they are dumb animals. I just don't know if they are dumb enough to not eat long enough to make matters worse.

and I talk to them all the time. Yell at them a lot of the time. He still does not seem to be exhibiting any illness signs. No temp or things of that nature.

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by this >> "Hardware? It will run down if so - but does not sound like the prob. " Bez>

Hardware disease - ingesting nails, screws, pieces of metal - it causes havoc with the digestion and can perforate their stomach. Rumen, I think, but I'm not sure on that.

CowgirlUpNY":2vbx7kkd said:
I do TRY to remember that they are dumb animals. I just don't know if they are dumb enough to not eat long enough to make matters worse.

and I talk to them all the time. Yell at them a lot of the time. He still does not seem to be exhibiting any illness signs. No temp or things of that nature.

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by this >> "Hardware? It will run down if so - but does not sound like the prob. " Bez>

Hardware disease - ingested metal. Wire, nuts, bolts, nails, and even a door hinge - could not believe that one but it is true - saw it myself. A big one to boot - old fashioned cast iron job.

Magnet in the stomach - SOMETIMES prevents or helps - but not always.

Bez>

Wow!! wouldn't have even thought of that. Although I'm 99.9% sure that's not the case. He just stands out in the pasture, or off in the wood line po'ed about life.

Bez>":1xxu02e9 said:
msscamp!!

Stop it you, you......

:D

Bez>

So now it's my fault that you're slower than molasses in January? I don't think so! 8) :lol2: :lol2: