How long for udders to dry up?

Help Support CattleToday:

mickiw

Reaction score
I'm currently weaning my black angus calves. This year it is necessary for me to put the weaned calves back in the same pasture with the cows. My question is: How long will it take for the cows' milk to dry up? I am certain the calves will try to nurse again when I put them back, and of course the calves are bred back so this is not wanted. Please don't recommend that I do not put the calves back in with the cows. My situation is such that I do NOT have an alternative. Thank you for any help.

If you put the claves back too soon they will start nursing again and can bring the cows back into milk. We keep them seperated 6-8 weeks then put the retained heifers back with the cows and don;t have a problem. Tried 4 weeks, once, about half of the calves went back to nursing and it seemed the second weaning was worse then the first.

dun

Has anybody had any experence with the apparatus that goes in the calf's nostril. You are supposed be able to wean calves without seperating them from their mother.

We have used quite a few of those over the years. They seem to work. Make sure if you get the kind with the points to make sure they are facing down. They last longer that way.