How long does your fly spray last?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Flies are horrible this year! We have used Fly Ban for years with great success but either the cattle have developed a resistance or the flies are so bad we can't keep up with them. We used to spray every couple weeks but now a lot of them (not all the cows but definitely the bulls) are covered again within a week.

So here's my cost/ingredient comparison:
Fly Ban, 7.4% permethrin, 7.4% piperonyl butoxide, 2.5 gal for $203.99
Ultra Saber, 1% lambda-cyalorthrin, 5% piperonyl butoxide, 1 gal for $192.59
Ultra Boss, 5% permethrin, 5% piperonly butoxide, 1 bal for $118.95
Brute10% permethrin, 1 gal 127.55

Looks like Fly Ban is the best bang for the buck, right? Except not if I have to use twice as much to get the same results as one of the others. Reading the 1 out of 5 star reviews, some claim Ultra Saber and Ultra Boss last 60 days but I suspect longevity/effectiveness is relative to time of year and weather conditions. I'm looking for opinions on ready to use fly sprays, not rubs, tags or dust.

Its the flys that get a resistance, not the cattle. Switching the active ingredient usually helps some so in your case, I would try the Ultra Saber.

What are your neighbors using? The resistance could very well be because your neighbors have caused it. If you have 6, 7, 8, 9 adjoining pastures with herds of cows in them, you have to contend with resistance. Going after the larvae only helps you. It doesn't help if your neighbors are hosting a breeding ground.

You've spent several nickels. I hope the cocktail works but what about next season?

I've never known a dead fly to build up resistance to anything. You kill what you get the spray on and that's about it.... and most fly sprays have a very short residual life.

In the spring before fly season we pour once with Boss. That holds fora couple of weeks. At the same time we start to use minerals with IGR and set up the fly mops. The cows will always have a couple of flys on them, ussually around the eyes but that's about it. We also rotate pastures and prevent boggy/wet areas.

There's only one neighbor that has cattle directly on the other side of the fence and he puts ear tags in when they work cattle in the Spring - and that's it. His cattle look horrible (and quite frankly, most of them are downright ugly). The other neighboring pastures are across the road; a couple of them are diligent about fly control but another is not. That's part of the problem. This time of year when it's so hot our cattle prefer the lake, ponds, creeks (rarely use the stock tank or fountain) and those areas also have the most shade so boggy/wet is definitely a contributing factor. We also use minerals with IGR.

Realistically, do you think there's anything that will last longer than 2 weeks this time of year under these conditions? Thinking about trying the Ultra Saber because the active ingredients are different or Brute because the permethrin is slightly higher but if I don't see an increase in duration it's most likely back to Fly Ban.

Fly rubs across the salt feeders might help you best. A fresh dose every day.Your neighbor may be contributing to the problem by putting fly tags in too early and no taking them back out in the fall (done both).Also he should rotate drugs.
You can rotate ingredients form year to year and will still help your cows.Be aware that their are basically two types of fly killers.Organophosphates and Pyrethoids. When I use fly tags,I do 3 years of organophosphates and one of the other :2cents: .I have had excellant results with fly rubs and am trying some Ultra Boss pour-on for some groups this year.

This year I've switched to a 10% Permethrin. It doesn't seem to be lasting quite as long as what I usually use, Cylence. A couple of times it rained within 6 hours of application and that didn't help. (the forecast was for rain the next evening). Once I use up all the Permethrin, I'll go back to the Cylence.

I'm getting about 2 weeks out of the Permethrin.

Where I used to work we'd alternate between Saber and Ultra Boss. Both of those worked pretty well........ then.

Workinonit Farm":2eoxfl74 said:
This year I've switched to a 10% Permethrin. It doesn't seem to be lasting quite as long as what I usually use, Cylence. A couple of times it rained within 6 hours of application and that didn't help. (the forecast was for rain the next evening). Once I use up all the Permethrin, I'll go back to the Cylence.

I'm getting about 2 weeks out of the Permethrin.

Where I used to work we'd alternate between Saber and Ultra Boss. Both of those worked pretty well........ then.
That's one I hadn't researched, thanks for the tip.

Thought I'd give a little update. Poured the herd with Cyonara Plus 7/30 and was practically in awe that even the horse flies were gone the next day. Eight days later, total buzzkill. They're not completely covered in flies and not all the cows are bad but my euphoria is totally gone. Bottom line: even the different active ingredients & heftier price tag will not effectively control the flies this year for more than 1 - 2 weeks. I'll probably finish out the season with the Cyonara and go back to my trusty Fly Ban next year.

TCRanch":19s5fczn said:
Thought I'd give a little update. Poured the herd with Cyonara Plus 7/30 and was practically in awe that even the horse flies were gone the next day. Eight days later, total buzzkill. They're not completely covered in flies and not all the cows are bad but my euphoria is totally gone. Bottom line: even the different active ingredients & heftier price tag will not effectively control the flies this year for more than 1 - 2 weeks. I'll probably finish out the season with the Cyonara and go back to my trusty Fly Ban next year.

Thanks for the follow-up.

:D

We've always tagged our cattle for fly control. Brand we use is warrior. Have had great results and usually tags will work for a good three months, maybe longer. I've heard using the Purina Wind and Rain Fly Control mineral helps control flies but haven't convinced myself to start with this.

TC-did you see the recipe someone put on here awhile back for making your own generic "ultra boss"? Credit goes to someone other than me. 1 gallon corn oil, 6.5 ozs pbo8, 6.5 ozs permethrin.

Chocolate Cow":2n1gfffz said:
TC-did you see the recipe someone put on here awhile back for making your own generic "ultra boss"? Credit goes to someone other than me. 1 gallon corn oil, 6.5 ozs pbo8, 6.5 ozs permethrin.
Yes, I do have it. Credit goes to Grit.

Latest posts