How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Help Support CattleToday:

SEIOWACATTLE

Reaction score
I couldn't really find a answer to satisfy me using the search. Just wondering on average how long would you say that a cow is in standing heat? Is there a difference between cows and heifers? Its always part of the when to AI guessing game for me.
Any response is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Book says it can last up to 10 hours. At the average rate of one stand per hour. You base breeding on the time of ONSET.

I breed on all natural heats. I probably average 3 hours per day on heat detection. Maybe I got cows with estrus behavior dysfunction but some simply do not stand. They jump others but others don't jump them. If anyone has an answer, you have my attention. I simply let they jump for about 8 hours and breed them. So far, my conception rate is at least 80 % on first service.

In the dairy industry, when I was doing AI relief breeding, my mentor and long time Tech/teacher said that most cows would stand for an average 6-10 hours and heifers were about 4-8 hours or a little shorter than cows. We got calls and tried to do breeding on a twice a day schedule. If you see it in the morning call and we will get to it in the afternoon, see it in the aft call and you will be on the early morning list.
Honestly, I breed on natural heats also, and from when I first see them standing I will breed within 2-3 hours. If they are still showing signs, I will breed again in about 12-15 hours. Sure, it is 2 straws sometimes, but even at say $25.00 a straw, it beats missing the timing and having her come back in in 3 weeks. The bull breeds them as soon as they will stand for him, and if there are many cows to be bred sometimes they only get one or 2 shots with him.

My 4 mth old bull calves have been very active this year and been giving a couple of my late calvers hel? this year and will be all over the cow when in standing heat which will last about 10hrs. They are young and enthusiastic and just want to shag them when in standing heat. I have one that is working more like a bull and tracks a cow if he thinks she is coming on heat and will hook up with her a good 24 hrs before the others are interested just like a bull he wines and dines her knowing very soon she be a willing partner though the others spoil the party when it is time. It does show the 2 stages of oestrus though.

Ken

wbvs58":2c16xqz4 said:
My 4 mth old bull calves have been very active this year and been giving a couple of my late calvers hel? this year and will be all over the cow when in standing heat which will last about 10hrs. They are young and enthusiastic and just want to shag them when in standing heat. I have one that is working more like a bull and tracks a cow if he thinks she is coming on heat and will hook up with her a good 24 hrs before the others are interested just like a bull he wines and dines her knowing very soon she be a willing partner though the others spoil the party when it is time. It does show the 2 stages of oestrus though.

Ken

My bulls are only 10 weeks old but they help some. I can usually figure it out but there is usually some guess work. My misses are probably usually due to timing.

The AM - PM, PM - AM rule is tried and true. But, cattle don't always read the book, and they come in during the night & are done by daylight. If you are breeding your own, then (to me) best to breed ASAP, but if you are calling a tech, then they get bred that afternoon or evening.
Also, love the ones that are sleeping all morning, then at noon - 1pm, they are hot & heavy.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":660jukss said:
The AM - PM, PM - AM rule is tried and true. But, cattle don't always read the book, and they come in during the night & are done by daylight. If you are breeding your own, then (to me) best to breed ASAP, but if you are calling a tech, then they get bred that afternoon or evening.
Also, love the ones that are sleeping all morning, then at noon - 1pm, they are hot & heavy.

Yes can be a challenge to know exactly when they started.

Ken

wbvs58":1a1vi3qf said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1a1vi3qf said:

Yes can be a challenge to know exactly when they started.

Ken

Ken,

I have concluded that trying to pinpoint the exact time of standing heat is an exercise in futility.