How Long does Pink Eye Treatment Take?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bucky

Reaction score
I have to treat a yearling for Pink Eye with LA 200. How long have you found it takes before the eye will clear up after they are given the shot?

Depends on how bad the eye is. We squirt some penicillin in the eye and glue a patch over it as well as the LA200. I think the patch helps more than you can imagine, keeps flys off and the animal seems to be less aggrevated by the eye. Back to your original question: As little as a few days and up to never if the eye is severe enough.

Try these: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07954-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
Get the cow size, you can trim them. I haven't found a way yet to stretch the small ones. Or make your own out of old blue jeans.

cfpinz

As said before it can happen in a few days or never. Depends on how much damage was done. I have see them improve in as little as overnight, but we usually give them about 3 days before we retreat. We don't bother with the patch or penicillin in the eye, but I know it works for a lot of people.

Make sure to check for any foriegn objects lodged in the eye or eyelid. That is how the majority of our pinkeye problems start. A piece of foxtail or grass gets embedded into the eyelid and then that continually agravates the cornea.

If you catch it early, say when there is just a small bit of white and it only started tearing, just a spray of LA200 will clear it up in a couple of days. If you wait longer and you have a lot of white, it will take at least a couple of weeks and it may appear to get worse before it gets better (This is with both a spray in the eye and a SQ/IM injection). The eye patches help but mine always seem to get it off after a day or two.

I treated a lot of cases this year from early to a bit late and they all cleared up. Even with the worst case they call still see just fine, although some of them looked pretty bad at the time.

Okay if you are going to get that technical, it will take 4 shots
(35 cc). Can't you see the invisible s behind shot in my first post?
;-)

Latest posts