How long does it take?

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore

Reaction score
For the nuts to fall off after banding? It's been 5 weeks since I banded my bull calf at one week old, and they are still there.

Shouldn't be too much longer. Some lose theirs sooner than others. 5 weeks is getting a little long though. Are they all dried up, if they are I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as he is acting fine otherwise.

Sometimes it seems to take forever.

Do they look all dried up just kinda hangin' by a thread? My brother used to get tired of waiting on them to fall off, and when they looked like old parchment paper, he'd just snip them off. I'm not advocating that...just sayin' what we used to do here.

Alice

Carnivore":3jf9l3m0 said:
No, they don't look all dried up, the look kind of swollen, but also band looks like it is place.

By now they ought to be all dried up...

Alice

Look at the sack from 2 directions. Frequently the sack will look really big but when you look at it from the side you realize it's schrivled and flat, just the perspective of looking at the wide/flat side makes it look big. On a yearling it took almost 4 months to fall off, even with little calves it will vary from a couple of weeks to several months.

dun

when i banded my bucket calf it probably took him about 2 months to drop his. they just stayed there all shiveled up and it was absolutly discusting but just be patient they fell off. it was kinda disturbing to think of my "baby's" balls dried and shriveled up laying somewhere in the pasture :shock:

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I'll get him contained and check a little closer as soon as I can.

Answering one question, little green bands for sheep and calves, which was what was sold to me. I wouldn't have been able to use anything smaller.

It depends on how well the bloodflow is cut off.

This is determined by
elasticity of band - not all are the same
size of sack - even on same age calves
how high or low the band was applied- more or less bulk in band
constriction of blood vessels - how much blood gets through
age of calf - usually older are larger
generics of calf- not all cattle are the same
temperature - colder temps causes more bloodflow internally, notice how they move up and down in the sac due to temperature.

Bottom line is there ain't no surefire number of days.

Friend of mind ofered his son $500 if he found a set on the ground...75 acres. He looked hard this spring but looks like another year and a little smarter to realize take the time go look for a girl instead of 2 dried up balls.

found a set of dried ones in the feed trough with band still intact. its on the dash of the truck. real good conversation piece