How long does it take for a yearling cow or older to starve?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevada Gina

Reaction score
I live behind a small ranch and there are 17 head of cattle, yearling size or older. I live in the high desert of Nevada at 5500 feet elevation and the days are about 29 degrees and the nights get down around zero. These cattle behind my home just stand there all day...I dont see them graze...I dont see them chew cud..their backs are becoming humped up so I went out to see if they are starving. They are penned in a 10 acre parcel and have been there for about 2 months. There is about 6 inches of snow on the ground and it doesnt appear that there is anything left for these cows to eat in their field. I dont know much about cows, so I went out to my fenceline to get a better look...they are not skeletons...but I can see their ribs through their heavy winter coat. I need to know...am I just a worry wart and these critters can take care of themselves or are they in jeopardy of starving soon since they need lots of calories to stay warm? I have watched these cows for about a week now and no one comes out to check on them and they dont supplement their grazing with hay...these guys are on their own. How long will these cattle survive with so little to eat...I need to know because I am contemplating calling animal control but dont want to jump the gun. :cboy:

There might be a possibility that the owners took the herd home to the winter pasture and missed these ones, it has happened. Is there a farm near by? I would call them and ask them if they are his animals? Might be a place to start. If there is bush on the pasture you might not see where the farmer is feeding them.
'luck

well, in the area I'm from, you'd get a bad name in a hurry calling animal control, but by the same token, if you say anthing to anyone else, they'd know who did. maybe try bringing a handful of hay wtih you, and if that really perks their ears or they come running, well, you gotta thing they're pretty hungry.. you'd also get a better look at them.

If you ask our cows, they'll say anything after 12 hours is starvation

So I will play devils advocate,...Call "animal control" if the animals are being looked after and the owners are doing all that they should ,there should be nothing wrong with getting in touch with the authorities.

At least you care enough to ensure these animals are being looked after.

Personally I would not care if someone called the authorities on me as all of my animals get top notch care..

Who knows but if you looked at a herd of dairy cows, their ribs would be showing and their hips would be showing. 0 isn't cold really, try 3 consecutive weeks of -5 to -35............ I would look for the owner first.

I don't advise going to the fence and giving them hay. You could get hurt...they could look their for feed even though he might be feeding them somewhere else and break the fence....or you could get them sick (er)? and be held liable.

Time to call a few neighbours and find out about these cows.

As you tell the story - as it stands there may be a whole bunch of reasons why they are there.

But it does sound ike they are hungry

No matter how long it takes for them to go down - if you are responsible you will make some calls and find out about them - if you cannot find out about them - then you wil call someone who will.

Time to act is now - just be low key - do not do it today and it will be Christmas and they will be there for at least another week - if you are accurate and no one comes to feed they will start going down.

Up to you

Bez+

Many years ago, an old guy had some cows wintering in this area. He lived 30 miles away. He had hay stacked outside the fence, but wouldn't feed them enough. They were obviously not going to make it. One old local farmer got enough of that, and dropped by on a daily basis after the nitwit owner put out about a third enough hay and put out an appropriate amount. The cows picked up weight, and survived the winter. The owner, however, complained that someone was stealing his hay. :roll: I don't think anyone ever told him what was really happening. If these cattle have been essentially abandoned, which is possible given the economic times, someone sure needs to step in.

If these cattle are pinned up in ten acres it is hard to believe that the rancher accidently left them behind. Sounds more like they are abandoned to me. They can forage on sagebrush, but not very long. I would call the local Brand Inspector.
Tom.

Sounds like you might be worried that you may not know what a cow in trouble looks like? The brand inspector will be able to tell you their condition, and who owns them.

I'd call the nearest ASPCA office. I get ticked off quickly when people don't take care of their animals.. I've called on three places in the last month! Unfortunately with the extra dry conditions and high price of feed, I see way too many animals that owners should not be allowed to have. :mad:

Seen a similar situation at a bachelor neighbors.. he passed away and no one knew for a quite awhile.If those cows are in poor condition and If they don,t have adequate shelter from possible low temp combined with windchill. They will go down like flies .They can also get to a point they just don,t eat period even if feed is provided.So the time to act is now.

I for one would like to know what breeding there is behind them, if they happened to be Correnties the hip and ribs showing is natural in range run cows, calves and steers'
Just might be jumping to conclusions here, i would ask someone who knows livestock before I resorted to calling the sheriff, doesn't sound like this person is very knowlegable to start with!
I am not saying that it doesn't bear looking into because I am not!
In my opinion the sheriff is the last person I would call because more than likely he has little or NO knowledge of cattle.
Call live stock control they have the experence to handle the situation, not some sheriff who thinks his steak comes from the grocery store!

If I was really that concerned I would find the owner and talk to him and see if he needed a helping hand in some way.

I remember a time when I was a kid in a similar situation my daddy talked to the owner and moved the cattle to one of our pastures until the owner could sort of get his feet on the ground. The cows got grass, and the owner appreciated somebody caring about "him" enough to offer help.

Jumping in to be a do-gooder behind somebody's back in a situation you really know nothing about and is none of your business could cause hard feelings and maybe get you hurt in some places.

Some of these remarks are almost laughable. Read the original post. There is nothing to eat for them, so if I throw a few bales of hay in for them am I going to worry if they get sick. or am I going to worry that they might start dropping if I don't? It ain't like I'm dumping a load of corn in for them. And I da-n sure ain't gonna worry about hurting his/her feelings. In these 2 posts on the same subject some of you seem more concerned with making excuses for the owner than getting help for the starving cattle. I suppose if you saw a cow caught in barbed wire, you'd say he did'nt have rope so he just used wire to tie her up. If she was stuck in the mud would you not help her? Or would you think the owner knows about her, but does'nt want her genetics in his herd, because she's to dumb to get out on her own. Give me a break.....now in your replies, remember not to hurt my feelings.

Roadapple":31xwqdyr said:
Some of these remarks are almost laughable. Read the original post. There is nothing to eat for them, so if I throw a few bales of hay in for them am I going to worry if they get sick. or am I going to worry that they might start dropping if I don't? It ain't like I'm dumping a load of corn in for them. And I da-n sure ain't gonna worry about hurting his/her feelings. In these 2 posts on the same subject some of you seem more concerned with making excuses for the owner than getting help for the starving cattle. I suppose if you saw a cow caught in barbed wire, you'd say he did'nt have rope so he just used wire to tie her up. If she was stuck in the mud would you not help her? Or would you think the owner knows about her, but does'nt want her genetics in his herd, because she's to dumb to get out on her own. Give me a break.....now in your replies, remember not to hurt my feelings.
I'm with you roadapple and what about water, in Navada I bet it's not just everywhere. Who ever they are they need to do something & they need to get back on here tell us something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts