How long do you wean a calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

We don't put the replacement heifer calves back into the main herd until the heifers are coming up on calving as 2 year olds. We probably wouldn't even do it then, except we are short on space and don't have a choice.

Thanks, but I would like to know how long you have to keep apart so they wont go back to sucking there momma?

Clint":2cd7njlu said:
Thanks, but I would like to know how long you have to keep apart so they wont go back to sucking there momma?

That is exactly why we do it the way we do - and even with our practices we've had calves go back to sucking their mothers when put in with the main herd. Not many, but it does happen.

Thank you for answering my question. I guess I will have to sale my cow then. I asked my dad to by me a calf to show and the one I liked was still on its momma. I talked him into buying it for me and I would pay for her myself with her next calf. I guess I wont be able to do that now.

I sure hate to sale her but I only have two pastures and they are right beside each other. I thought I could just put the calf in the lot for a month or two and turn her back out.

Thanks for helping me.

Clint you don't have to sell anything. First of all how old is the calf? I wean mine between 5-6 months. It depends mainly on the conditions. Like now is dry out I wean them earlier. I put them in a pen and start feeding them feed. My girls like sweet feed the best and its easier to start them on it. I leave them in anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. I watch the cows when their bag starts drying up and they quit bellaring for them.I wait a few more days then let the calves go . I've never had any problem with them going back .It never hurts to try.

She is 7 months old today. She is butterball fat. My pasture has been green all year. I also feed her cubes everyday. She eats them real good.

How long does it take for a cows bag to start drying up?

To start after the calf is off a good 2 weeks, but you will still need to wait a couple of more weeks before letting the calf go. I just did 6 heifers all at one time.The cows are fine and so are the heifers. She'll bellar for mom a good week and probably will go hoarse mine did. Do you have pen to keep the calf in ?

Yes mam, I have a lot for the calf.. I built a lot for the cow too because I was told it would be easy on both if they could see eachother. Glad you helped me I didnt want to sale her.

Clint":35igzppz said:
Thank you for answering my question. I guess I will have to sale my cow then. I asked my dad to by me a calf to show and the one I liked was still on its momma. I talked him into buying it for me and I would pay for her myself with her next calf. I guess I wont be able to do that now.

I sure hate to sale her but I only have two pastures and they are right beside each other. I thought I could just put the calf in the lot for a month or two and turn her back out.

Thanks for helping me.

I would suggest you keep the calf in the lot for 2 to 3 months, then turn it out with it's mother and keep an eye on them (others will tell you different, and that's ok). Worst case scenario you have to rotate them on the pasture, or keep the calf in the lot and feed him hay and a little grain. That is not a reason to have to sell the cow. Not all calves go back to sucking, but it is a possibility that you need to be aware of.

Great I wish you the best of luck Clint. You just keep a good on the cows bag and you will start seeing it draw up. I have weaned calves for about the last 6-7 years. I guess I was lucky ,because I never had one go back to the cow.

Just wondering where in texas you lived cause you said your pastures were green all year. Ours is just about dried up due to no rain. Already been feeding hay for awhile.

Put a weaning ring in her nose and forget about it! When cow is dry take it out - then watch if she goes back to trying put it back in.

Some calves will try even when they have a calf of their own, others (most?) get over it in a couple weeks.

We keep them apart for at least two months. It seems like the better mothers and the heavy milkers will take the calf back after two or more months...had to put some in with the production steers to finish the weaning....hate to because they get pushed around quite a bit but haven't had one hurt yet and all have a good gain. DMc

Clint, If you'll PM me your address I'll send you a thing you stick in their nose to wean with. It does'nt pierce their nose and is completely painless. Easy to put in and take out. You put it in and leave her right with her mother for 7 or so days, take it out and put her in your separate pasture from her mother. When you wean with this the calf or mother will not cry for each other either. And she can eat and drink normal. Easiest way there is to wean without stressing both mother and baby out. Be glad to mail you one and best of luck in the cattle business.

We always locked the calves up in the barn for a couple months...They bawl back and forth...and then get over it. Its harder on one than two, because the calf gets lonely, it will give you time to be his/her buddy. Make sure the calf is locked up good because they will jump & tear things down to get to their mama. Donna

Latest posts