How long do you wait to AI?

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
How long should I wait to AI cows after they calve? I have about 20 first time calvers this year and would like to do a timed AI on them next year. Also have about the same amount of cows. All of them were AI this year then we put a clean up bull in with them for 60days. The AI are do on Feb 9th. Natural service bull was put in on May 20th and taken out on July 22nd. We will be doing TIA with a CIDR. 7 day CIDR. All the animals are Angus. My consern would be on the animals that were natural serviced. This is the schedule we are looking at for this year.

Cows

April 19 - Insert CIDR and GNRH (Friday)
April 26 - Pull CIDR and PG at 3:00 (Friday)
April 29 - GNRH and AI at 9:00 (Monday)

Calving date would be February 6th

Thanks guys
Dom

I would synch anything with a 30 day old calf and older. Chances are that your success rate won't be great on those shorter post-partum cows, but the hope is that the synch process will jump start them and start moving them up in the calving season so they are farther along next year. If cattle are in good shape, there is no reason not to have success with 45 day post-partum cows and ideal are the 60 day or more cows.

The main key is to set your AI date around when you want to calve and manage the cows accordingly. Don't let the late cows dictate when you breed or you will fight a losing battle. Use your management to designate the later calving cows and get rid of them when they fall out of your system.

bigag03":zbkvrllw said:
I would synch anything with a 30 day old calf and older. Chances are that your success rate won't be great on those shorter post-partum cows, but the hope is that the synch process will jump start them and start moving them up in the calving season so they are farther along next year. If cattle are in good shape, there is no reason not to have success with 45 day post-partum cows and ideal are the 60 day or more cows.

The main key is to set your AI date around when you want to calve and manage the cows accordingly. Don't let the late cows dictate when you breed or you will fight a losing battle. Use your management to designate the later calving cows and get rid of them when they fall out of your system.
exactly! very well said.

Thanks for the help. One question, 30 days before we do the actual AI or 30 day for before we insert the CIDR?

Sorry for the delay in response. I always calculate from AI date. Just remember that could make for some young calves when you start the synch protocol, so make sure you have the facilities to get them sorted off without getting a calf hurt.

we won't insert a cidr unless the calf is minium 30 days old but prefer 35 days so the calf is 45 days post partum when bred. we also do the protocol where you heat detect for 2 days or so and then time ai all non responders. been having a little better luck with that but have to be able to get cows up more often to sort off the ones in heat and have time to check them.

Latest posts