How long do the big processors let their carcasses hang?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with anything, but I am taking a steer next week to be processed. I was talking to the processor and asked him how long he let his carcasses hang (6-10 days for him). This afternoon I was listening to the radio and they were talking about some of the big processors having to close for the virus and it made me wonder, how long do they let theirs hang before breaking them down?

I had AI class at a packing facility in Wisconsin, I'm pretty sure they were in boxes going into the freezer within 8 hours. Most of them weren't on the ground longer than 4 hrs.

I might be wrong but I think the big guys all do what is called wet aging... vacuum pack the cuts right away and let the enzymes do their work while the beef is in transit to point of sale.

Silver said:
I might be wrong but I think the big guys all do what is called wet aging... vacuum pack the cuts right away and let the enzymes do their work while the beef is in transit to point of sale.

That makes sense, we hang 6 days but the meat always eats better a couple of weeks after packing.

kenny thomas said:
Hard worker needs lots of protein.
You must be taking yours to the Mennonites just down the road. I tried to get one in there and they were booked up for 3 months last year. That is a lot of protein!!!!!!!!! Finally took it to Cedar Fork and it was processed decent (vacuum packed) as I still have around 400 lbs. in the freezer.

jltrent said:
kenny thomas said:
You must be taking yours to the Mennonites just down the road. I tried to get one in there and they were booked up for 3 months last year. That is a lot of protein!!!!!!!!! Finally took it to Cedar Fork and it was processed decent (vacuum packed) as I still have around 400 lbs. in the freezer.
I called a new place in Tazewell and left a message but never got a response. So yes I went to the Mennonite slaughterhouse. He will usually work me in somehow.

kenny thomas said:
jltrent said:
kenny thomas said:
I called a new place in Tazewell and left a message but never got a response. So yes I went to the Mennonite slaughterhouse. He will usually work me in somehow.
Next door neighbor just west gave me the # for the new place in Tazewell last year and it was 2 months booked. The guys at Cedar Fork will work you in pretty fast, but it is hit miss on quality processed. They did a pretty good job on the last one, but the one before certain cuts were pretty bloody (had to soak for a while before fixing)

Silver said:

This is correct. I think it is about 2 hour turnaround time from when the animal is knocked on the head until it is in a box.

Tyson flash freezes sides and grades them 12-24hrs later in the cooler. We got to your the local plant in meats class during collage.

Latest posts