How long could a cow go without water

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
How long could a cow go without water in the dead of summer. (100 degrees)I have heard as short as 12 hours or as long as 24 hours with out any consiquences.

wouldn't go for more than 6 because saliva and cud chewing require water and these reduce high PH in the rumen which could be dangerous

HandB":4t4k8pef said:
wouldn't go for more than 6 because saliva and cud chewing require water and these reduce high PH in the rumen which could be dangerous
Hog wash. Show cattle drink every twelve hours. Northern cattle drink when ever someone cuts ice. Usually once a day.

if it had access to shade more than 24 hours. (seen it). I would say it would be more like several days. (2+)

ollie":3lbgrpwq said:
Show cattle drink every twelve hours. Northern cattle drink when ever someone cuts ice. Usually once a day.

Yep. I over struck with the mull in the the concrete trough yesterday morning. Won't be chopping any ice till tomorrow afternoon when I get that handle fixed. They will be just fine.

And before a show, my show cattle go more than 12 hours with out water. They are used to that good spring water here at home. They have to be good and thirsty to drink the chlorine water that most fair grounds have.

During a 3 year drought a few years ago we had to water them with well water when the ponds dried up. They got watered once a day and it was over 100 degrees during this period.

They are Brahmans if this makes a difference in how often they 'have' to have water.

I get the right kind of weather at our place the old girls - they go without water for a month - just snow.

Summer - on the truck - no more than 48 hours - then off for a drink - that's in high summer - temps in 90's. I think the rules are now down to 24 hours on the truck.

When I was in the desert - saw cattle get a drink once every 24 - 36 hours - sometimes a bit longer.

Cow can go without water for about the same time as a human - maybe more - not good for 'em, but they can do it. They start to tell you they are thirsty after about two days - they'll bawl a bit for water. Get real noisy after three days. Around the end of the fourth day they start to slow down - when they stop asking for a drink you had better get them one real quick

Depends on the cow / the heat / the stress / the activity / shade available / the food they eat and so on.

Bez

I had a dairyman tell me that no more than 6 is the limit. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info

No one is suggesting they should go with out water. Cattle need water. Dairy cattle need more water that beef cows, especially if you want them to produce milk. In top production 6 hrs would lower their milk production.

The important part of the question is "could" not should. I'm sure they could go a day or 2 at least, but shouldn't go any longer then maybe 8 hours, and that 8 hours is in the winter but nursing a calf.
My opinion!

dun

For hard to pen cattle, I have cut all water sources except in the pen. They'll come in eventually, but sometimes it's a day or two.

I agree with (about) 2 days without significant harm. If a cow has been without water for 2 days or more, they should not be allowed to drink free choice. The water should be rationed for a day or two. If they are dehydrated and then consume a large quantity of water it can mess up their electrolyte balance and cause brain damage and death.

Latest posts