How long can cows last?

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa

Reaction score
Was looking at Red Angus bulls on Pharo's site and several came out of 15 year old cows, and one, Dylan, has a dam who is 20 years old (from Dylan Biggs).

Wondering what the norm is, and the oldest you've seen producing.

djinwa":29mp7n65 said:
Was looking at Red Angus bulls on Pharo's site and several came out of 15 year old cows, and one, Dylan, has a dam who is 20 years old (from Dylan Biggs).

Wondering what the norm is, and the oldest you've seen producing.
Seems several members on here have mentioned cattle well over 20 yrs. old....I have one that is 15, had her 13 calf on Valentine's day and we bred her again 3 weeks ago. Still in good shape and raises a good calf.

The oldest one I have now is approximately 13 and still going strong. Has a real nice heifer calf on her now. She's BWF.

The oldest one I had was 17 when I sold her, she came up open, that's why she left. She was black Angus

Where I work they will usually sell them by the time they're 9, they feel that the cow's productivity wanes. I did buy a 10 year old from there, she gave me 4 calves , all very nice ones that brought good money and bred back in a timely fashion. She was black Angus.

A friend of mine had an old "white cow" that lived to 19.

Katherine

Granny is 22 this year. Raising a dandy heifer calf thos year (only her 3rd ever heifer), she cycled a week before our breeding season and expect her to settle and calve again. She did lose one tooth over the winter though

Can't imagine having a cow around over 20 years. When it ended, would almost be like losing a wife.

djinwa":xza6fscc said:
Can't imagine having a cow around over 20 years. When it ended, would almost be like losing a wife.

Well now! I guess that would depend on the wife, wouldn't it?

I am milking a 15 year old Holstein. She's still in good shape and doesn't look her age at all. I didn't rebreed her as I plan to sell her at the end of the current lactation. I'm worried about something happening to her so I thought it best to just move her while she's still doing well. Problem is she's reaching the end of her lactation and I'm trying to prepare myself for the day I have to haul her off. I'm not doing too well with it. She's probably the best cow that has walked on this dairy and we've been around a few years.

novaman":39pmll6s said:
I am milking a 15 year old Holstein. She's probably the best cow that has walked on this dairy and we've been around a few years.

I would think that that type of longevity, in dairy cows, is rare these days. Hopefully you have been able to 'save' some of her genetics in the form of daughters.

Katherine

dun":2h2xzyyv said:
She did lose one tooth over the winter though

That's always the key; most cows can keep their shape up as long as their teeth are o.k.. Once the teeth are gone, though, they will not be able to keep up. I've had discussions with other cattlemen before about what type of environment is best for tooth longevity. The general concensus (of at least those of us who were drinking) seemed to be that cows raised on a "soil" base as opposed to a rocky/soil base would have a higher chance of living longer. There were way too many beers for that discussion to be taken seriously though.

cypressfarms":37wjs79n said:
dun":37wjs79n said:
She did lose one tooth over the winter though

That's always the key; most cows can keep their shape up as long as their teeth are o.k.. Once the teeth are gone, though, they will not be able to keep up. I've had discussions with other cattlemen before about what type of environment is best for tooth longevity. The general concensus (of at least those of us who were drinking) seemed to be that cows raised on a "soil" base as opposed to a rocky/soil base would have a higher chance of living longer. There were way too many beers for that discussion to be taken seriously though.
actually sandy soil is worse than rocky soil
our rocks are big enough they can't chew on them :lol:

Stocking rate and pasture management play as much a part as type of soil. Grazing to close flat out will eat up their teeth. However blow sand will eat them up faster than anything. I don't even like to feed hay raised on sand, it's probably worse than grazing it.

We have an 18 yr. old commercial cow who has had a steer every year. She still looks like she's 6.

I have had a number of cows that stayed around longer than my wife.........

I shipped two last year that were 18 and 19. The 19 was showing her age. The 18 was still going strong but had lost her calf so I shipped her in the early summer. Both raised a calf every year since they were two.

showing71":7u797k91 said:
We have an 18 yr. old commercial cow who has had a steer every year. She still looks like she's 6.

That's quite a trick. :tiphat:

It takes a pretty good cow to knock the nuts off em. :lol2:

novaman":2wmw1mii said:
I am milking a 15 year old Holstein. She's still in good shape and doesn't look her age at all. I didn't rebreed her as I plan to sell her at the end of the current lactation. I'm worried about something happening to her so I thought it best to just move her while she's still doing well. Problem is she's reaching the end of her lactation and I'm trying to prepare myself for the day I have to haul her off. I'm not doing too well with it. She's probably the best cow that has walked on this dairy and we've been around a few years.

Don't cave, we had a 17 year old good ole #1, loaded to take her to the salebarn, when the husband had second thoughts. That winter she fell, became a downer, and he had to shoot her himself-not a good situation.

novatech":27uk5oyj said:
Stocking rate and pasture management play as much a part as type of soil. Grazing to close flat out will eat up their teeth. However blow sand will eat them up faster than anything. I don't even like to feed hay raised on sand, it's probably worse than grazing it.

You are dead on it's a management issue, good grass = good teeth= long productive life= profit.
These older working girls make it easy, they have made it through all the culling trials, have maintained BCS, while raising a calf. I have some old enough to vote.