How long can a cow go before calving after contractions?

Help Support CattleToday:

opensky

Reaction score
We just purchased 21 Shorthorns (13 of which should be bred cows) in February and they were supposedly going to start calving before May 1. Our first calf was born May 11 and we haven't had one since. We recently had a visitor who was a Vet tech and she pointed out that one of our cows was having contractions and wouldn't be surprised if we had a calf by morning. That was the 14th (9 days ago) and still nothing. These cows have been bred for easy calving so I haven't been too concerned but now I'm starting to wonder.
In regards to the cow that was having contractions. What should I look for, to see if there are problems? Once a cow starts having contractions, how long can it be before she calves?

As far as the rest of the cows are concerned - what should I look for to know that things are going ok or aren't going ok?
Thank You!

I don't think she was having contractions. I don't see any signs of contractions till the calf's coming. That hopefully doesn't take more than 30 min to a couple hours depending on the situation.

You might want to have the vet come preg check them. If they were really supposed to start calving before May 1, you probably have some reason for concern . . . . not calving ease, but when or if they actually got bred.

So do they look "calfy"? Have udders springing up and big bellies? You should be able to tell well and truly if they're near calving.
Does the one who was "having contractions", or any others, have milk yet?

Did he have them preg checked or just exposed to a bull? For what opens are worth, one would pay for the vet and then some. Im still calving, and was soposed to be done by now according to the vet this winter. The ones I have left some are bagging, and springie. One hatched last night and I never thought it would of done it.

sky,
your 'vet tech' friend was blowing smoke. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 yrs experience and have spent my entire life with beef cattle, and I'm not gonna be able to look at a cow standing in the pasture and say "Oh, she's having (uterine) contractions."
Reminds me of going to see a mare some clients had purchased, and the seller had told them that she was bred - "Look! Right there! You can see the foal kicking inside her womb!". Checked her - and...nope, she was open.

If I see the cow getting up and down repeatedly, straining/pushing while lying down, smelling the ground where she was just lying, etc., THEN I'll say "She's in labor, and a calf oughta be arriving in short order'. But a noticeable rumen or abdominal contraction in a cow standing or lying around comfortably don't qualify as impending delivery.

Others have posted good tips & questions about whether or not these animals were checked and confirmed bred, or if your seller just 'thought' that they should be,

Thanks for the Words of Wisdom everyone. Calf #2 was born this morning (another bull calf). So only 11 more to go.
I'm not so sure that they all look like they're about ready to calve. So I think I will get a vet out here to preg check. The bull was left in with them so it's not as much a matter of "if" but "when".

Ill give ya another hint that had me baffeled one year. Pulled bulls in mid september, and had a bunch of cows ridding. I was really, really sick about preg checking. Best thing I ever did. They were bred and calved right in time. Goofiest thing Id seen. My vet preged a heiffer bout a month ago and he said she is bred. I see the hair is rubbed off tail head. Hope he is right. Another cow calved tuesday afteernoon and it had also been riddin pre-calving. Makes me wonder about the guys who preg check my just looking for rode cows.

Latest posts