How long between calving and breeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We just purchased our first herefords recently (have had steers in the past) and they should calve any time now. The guys we got them from hadn't vaccinated them EVER and had started breeding one of them at just under a year. (I'm not that pleased with these guys) This will be her second calf. The others seem fine and seem to have been bred at a decent age. This particular cow is quite small for her age and the calf looks like it'll be a huge one. I'm nervous about her carrying too long but I have pulled calves before and I can do it again if I must.

My question is just how long is it recommended we wait before breeding them again? The guys we got them from suggested we wait 2 months which is way too soon for me to be comfortable with it, espically for the one. We don't plan on breeding the young ones till they're at least 15 - 18 months old but we need to make a plan for these other ones.

Thanx.

[email protected]

> We just purchased our first
> Herefords recently (have had
> steers in the past) and they
> should calve any time now. The
> guys we got them from hadn't
> vaccinated them EVER and had
> started breeding one of them at
> just under a year. (I'm not that
> pleased with these guys) This will
> be her second calf. The others
> seem fine and seem to have been
> bred at a decent age. This
> particular cow is quite small for
> her age and the calf looks like
> it'll be a huge one. I'm nervous
> about her carrying too long but I
> have pulled calves before and I
> can do it again if I must.

> My question is just how long is it
> recommended we wait before
> breeding them again? The guys we
> got them from suggested we wait 2
> months which is way too soon for
> me to be comfortable with it,
> espically for the one. We don't
> plan on breeding the young ones
> till they're at least 15 - 18
> months old but we need to make a
> plan for these other ones.

> Thanx.

I breed heifers at 15 months of age. This allows them to calve as Two year olds. I then start breeding three months after calving. This keeps my calving season short and makes my vaccination program more convenient.

> I breed heifers at 15 months of
> age. This allows them to calve as
> Two year olds. I then start
> breeding three months after
> calving. This keeps my calving
> season short and makes my
> vaccination program more
> convenient.

We'd like to get ours to calve regularly earlier in the year than June, from your experience - is 2 months enough? If we bred them again in late August (calve in late May) we could get this started. BUT I don't know if it's wise or not. I have a tough time with 2 months, but then again I've not worked this end before either.

Thanx.

[email protected]

Breed them as soon as they cycle and you are prepared to calve them out. If you want breed them at 45 days if they cycle. Chances are the small one won't breed and should be culled. It is common to start breeding heifers at or slightly before a year of age. Good genetics and proper nutrition are a must, but calving time is when you are there, not during the middle of the summer when the cows might be away from the yard pasturing.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

I like breeding cows back within 3 months.if there in good condition you can breed them back earlier.now for the small cow i would try to get rid of her .theres a good chance she might have problems calving.I LIKE BREEDING MY HEIFERS THE second or third time they come in heat as long as there at least750-800 pounds

[email protected]

> We'd like to get ours to calve
> regularly earlier in the year than
> June, from your experience - is 2
> months enough? If we bred them
> again in late August (calve in
> late May) we could get this
> started. BUT I don't know if it's
> wise or not. I have a tough time
> with 2 months, but then again I've
> not worked this end before either.

> Thanx.

I would and have bred successfully as early as the second cycle after calving. As you know a cow cycles every 21 days.At 2 months it is possible for her to be at her 3rd cycle. I would breed at 2 months.

Lisa,

It is generally accepted among veterinarians that a cow/heifer can be bred back starting at 45 days after calving. By 45 days, the cow's reproductive tract has healed and returned to normal and it is safe to breed her.

Breeding earlier than 45 days after calving is sometimes possible, but is not recommended due to increased chances of infection and abortion.

Chances are first calf heifers won't breed back as soon as mature cows, but it's safe to put them with the bull or to AI them once the 45 day window has passed.

As to what age to first breed a heifer, age should be taken into consideration as well as weight. Most heifers are ready to breed by 14 months or when they have attained a certain percentage of their projected adult weight, although they do require a little TLC after calving, as they are still growing while nursing their calf.

The heifer you bought may well have incurred an accidental pregnancy at a young age, and that was why she was sold. If caught in time, a young heifer can be aborted with Lutalyse. Hopefully, the bull was a calving-ease bull??? There is also the possibility the heifer is actually a cull heifer and won't ever have the growth you would want her to have. How old is she?

> We just purchased our first
> herefords recently (have had
> steers in the past) and they
> should calve any time now. The
> guys we got them from hadn't
> vaccinated them EVER and had
> started breeding one of them at
> just under a year. (I'm not that
> pleased with these guys) This will
> be her second calf. The others
> seem fine and seem to have been
> bred at a decent age. This
> particular cow is quite small for
> her age and the calf looks like
> it'll be a huge one. I'm nervous
> about her carrying too long but I
> have pulled calves before and I
> can do it again if I must.

> My question is just how long is it
> recommended we wait before
> breeding them again? The guys we
> got them from suggested we wait 2
> months which is way too soon for
> me to be comfortable with it,
> espically for the one. We don't
> plan on breeding the young ones
> till they're at least 15 - 18
> months old but we need to make a
> plan for these other ones.

> Thanx.

Rafter L Murray Greys

Our smaller one calved this week. The calf is fine, bigger than we expected. She's the only one to calve yet and at this point in time we are going to wait till next season to breed them. This June/July calving is not where we want to be with them, we prefer earlier in the spring.

Thanx for the input!

[email protected]

Latest posts