How long after AI can I freeze brand?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
AI'd cows 3 weeks ago , I want to freeze brand them. Is it safe to do so now? I don't want to accidentally knock out a pregnancy. Thanks

Any time you run bred cows (especially early bred) through a chute there is an inherent risk of knocking a calf.
That being said, FB cattle is not very invasive. So maybe it would be ok.
I personally would wait. You can FB year round, but I get the best results in late February early March just before there spring hair coat grows in.

We preg check around 90-100d and will freezebrand the bred heifers after the vet leaves. Sometimes, it is the same day, others it is a week or two later, depending on what all we have going on. We calve in the fall, so that puts our branding at about the same time SBMF recommends. Need to make sure you have sharp blades on your clippers with the winter coat on heavy during that time. Good luck! (We use 50-55 sec. using liquid N on our heifers. 45 was not quite enough and 60+ scarred instead of branded)

VaCowman said:
We preg check around 90-100d and will freezebrand the bred heifers after the vet leaves. Sometimes, it is the same day, others it is a week or two later, depending on what all we have going on. We calve in the fall, so that puts our branding at about the same time SBMF recommends. Need to make sure you have sharp blades on your clippers with the winter coat on heavy during that time. Good luck! (We use 50-55 sec. using liquid N on our heifers. 45 was not quite enough and 60+ scarred instead of branded)

How short are you clipping? What color cattle? I use sheep shears to knock the mud and outer coat off then surgical blades. Black cattle 33sec with dry ice. Not as cold as liquid nitrogen. I couldn't keep from scaring them when we use liquid nitrogen.
Reds go 45sec, chars 60 sec to scar them.

I use neighbors clippers and I have no idea what kind of blades he has in there to be honest. I do know they are not surgical blades because he did make the comment that he was thinking of switching to surgical blades to see if that helped with consistency of brands AND to speed things up a bit. Sorry I'm not much help. (Our cattle are predominantly black with a few reds in the mix)