How late is to late to lute a heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Found a nice heifer that a relative wants to sell. 15-16 months old and got in with the bull probably 2 months ago maybe 3. Is it too late to lute her?

Not an expert on that but I'd say that's a little far out for it to be real effective. If the heifer is that age that would put her being bred at somewhere between 12-14 months. Honestly if it were mine, I wouldn't worry much about it and just watch her close when she calves. It's probably not the accepted thing to do on here, but we sometimes go on and turn 12 and 13 month olds with the bull rather than holding a few odd aged calves separate. Most of our heifers are 14 months when bred. Unless this calf is just small or happens to have been bred by a bull that throws monstrous calves there's a good chance every thing will be ok
I'm not a fan of lutalysing them unless it's right at first. I'll always believe I killed a good heifer once with it when she tried to have the calf not sure how far along she was probably farther than that but after that I'll just take the chance on getting a calf out of the deal.

Last edited:
We seldom find that they have been bred until at least 5-6 months along and too late to lute. I tend to agree with @Ky hills.... if she has decent growth then unless the bull throws monster calves, she probably will do okay.....

If you lute her and she doesn't abort it, then you will have a calf on a young heifer....

Not an expert on that but I'd say that's a little far out for it to be real effective. If the heifer is that age that would put her being bred at somewhere between 12-14 months. Honestly if it were mine, I wouldn't worry much about it and just watch her close when she calves. It's probably not the accepted thing to do on here, but we sometimes go on and turn 12 and 13 month olds with the bull rather than holding a few odd aged calves separate. Most of our heifers are 14 months when bred. Unless this calf is just small or happens to have been bred by a bull that throws monstrous calves there's a good chance every thing will be ok
I'm not a fan of lutalysing them unless it's right at first. I'll always believe I killed a good heifer once with it when she tried to have the calf not sure how far along she was probably farther than that but after that I'll just take the chance on getting a calf out of the deal.
Yup! Years ago I found one dead, trying to abort. Thing with this heifer, she was a later calf and had to have been only around 4 months when she was bred. That said, I believe it was anomaly and still think it's prudent (in my world) to pull the bulls a good 6 weeks prior to weaning & Lute the heifers.

Tom, if you decide to do nothing, at least get her in and draw blood for a preg check or have here palpated. Then make sure she has the best nutrition you have to put some growth and maturity on her for the first two trimesters. Don't over feed her in the third though.

Lutalyse and dexamethasone at the same time will work at any time.

I agree with others that you should consider letting her have the calf . A heifer that's grown well ought to be able to reliably have a calf by 21 or 22 months of age.

If she is bred it would be her half brother I found out. Would that concern anyone?

No, let her raise the calf as a terminal calf.... don't plan on keeping it so you don't have to be concerned about inbreeding down the road. There are some times that a few heifers here will get bred back to their own sire by accident... I keep 2 easy calving bulls and we try to make sure they don't go back with the sire for their breeding.... one reason to have 2 bulls.... and we don't raise alot of heifer calves out of heifers. But once in awhile we will move one to a place to be bred and then realize it was her sire...... I prefer to keep my replacement heifers out of tried and true cows... but sometimes one will stand out, coming off a heifer....