how late for k-31

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
how late can k31 fescue be planted in tn? need to plant 10 acres but we have been way to dry and hot. finally got some rain and maybe more on the way.

scf84 said:
how late can k31 fescue be planted in tn? need to plant 10 acres but we have been way to dry and hot. finally got some rain and maybe more on the way.

i planted mine while it was dry and hot been in for a few weeks and just got rain... I look at it its dry and no tilled in so it will be there when moisture comes. I do have to plant more this weekend though.

I planted fescue......not 31.....but 2 novel varieties yesterday. We had 2 1/2 inches of rain with more likely. I would have held out for another 2 weeks....or even 3. I'm at the other end of the state from you though.......just recognize our fall seasons are extending themselves well into November. I had done a lot of prep work over this year in getting these couple of plots ready....just had to pull the trigger on them.....??

We no tilled in some BarOptima Fescue a few years back on Oct 20. We finally got our first DROP of rain on it on Nov 16th. Typical winter for us that year, and the following spring, had a phenomenal stand of grass. About as good as you could ask for! Go for it. Around here (atleast this year) planting on first of Sept or first of October, would have germinated at the same time. No measurable rain here for the last 7 weeks. Finally got 3/4" on everything (mostly winter annuals and mixes) we had planted back around the first of September came alive. Planted rye the day after it rained, and they are both the same size now, planted about a month apart.

......I put in the Martin 2 variety......with some Bar optima.....in one section. The drill locking nut had virbated loose on that last section and the seeding rate was increasing a lot. Fertilizer put down yesterday.....today almost 2 inches of rain to pack it all down. I'm very lucky on the timing......looking for those novel varieties to jump in the next 6 weeks. Just will need to keep the cows out until well into next spring.
.......I'd go ahead and put yours in the ground......rains are on hand

Put it in the ground at your first opportunity. When the rains come it will sprout usually within about a week...some come up early (5 days) and some late (10 days), just depends upon the particular seed and it's environment. If the temperature is below the "ignition" point for that type seed to sprout it will sprout in the spring when soil gets to that temp. On seed rotting, seeds have no limit (seemingly) on how long they can lie dormant in the soil and germinate.......just put a plow in the ground, wait for a good rain, the right temperature and wala....you have weeds you haven't seen for years and years......and years.

Here in Southern Indiana we were in a drought up until 2 1/2 weeks ago I planted 5 acres with an old Massey 33 drill in disked soild got a great stand now about an inch tall. I'll see if it survives, it would have done no good in the bag.

Latest posts