How large can you band a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I had kept a bull calf back thinking that I would keep him for a bull. I however changed my mind and he is now approx. 800 to 850 lbs and I would like to sell him. I know he would bring more if he was banded, but is he too big? I would appreciate everybodys thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

Look at the "Calicate(sp)" bander. They're designed to be used on bigger bulls

We've used one on a 750 lb bull, no problems

dun

carla":988j8vak said:
I had kept a bull calf back thinking that I would keep him for a bull. I however changed my mind and he is now approx. 800 to 850 lbs and I would like to sell him. I know he would bring more if he was banded, but is he too big? I would appreciate everybodys thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

We actually did one at 1400 lbs. The big banders are one of the best tools for the industry. This should cut down on the # of bulls sold at the local auction barn. I mean, if you keep them a bull and selll them at the local barn, then you could be keeping the same problem in the industry that you were trying to get rid of. Doesn't help a whole lot making quality animals if you do not cut bulls (regardless of age and size).

Wow 1400 lbs is big. How much stress did it put on the bull? I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing.

A neighbour of mine banded a 7 year old Longhorn bull to be used as a trophy steer for a cattle Drive and auction. The bull was in pain for a good month and the owner said he would never do it that way again. However the Bull er steer had a year to recover before the Big drive and he survived and brought a handsome dollar.

It took about 3 weeks to heal, and they were in good condition when we banded them, but it didn't take hardly any time to recover. No loss of feed intake, which surprised the hell out of me. But, at the same time, those bulls had not been with cows, and I think that makes a difference as well.

dun":2iz484vv said:
Look at the "Calicate(sp)" bander. They're designed to be used on bigger bulls

We've used one on a 750 lb bull, no problems

dun

carla":2iz484vv said:

Better give 2 tetanus toxoid shots. 1 a few weeks before and the 2nd at time of banding. I learned this the hard way by only giving 1 shot at banding, lost a couple of big steers. The directions have been changed to reflect the problem of the wound being large for a month + , so do it on all large bulls esp!

Latest posts