How large a shelter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rob Johnson

Reaction score
Hi,
Having moved from the city in California to a farm in Minnesota, I'am really new at this. I just bought three heifers and three calves and I'm in the planning stages of building a winter shelter for them.
My question is, how large a shelter will it take to house these cattle? I plan on a open front type shelter, just something so they can get out of the winter weather.
Thanks,

Rob Johnson
Foley, Mn.

A 12 x 12' or 12 x 16' should be adequate. Pole barn type construction, about 7' high sloping roof. Open to South exposure. Ours have averaged about $850 each, site built: 4 or 6 poles/posts set about 3' in ground in cement. Sides and top with 26 or 29 guage corrugated metal. Rafters and side supports of 2 x 6" treated lumber about 3' on center. Can see some of ours on our website under page "Our Ranch Photos".

Thanks for the reply.
I had been thinking of a 12x25 but was affraid that would be too small, so I figured I'd ask people who know. Now, I can start building without fear of crowding.
We have a 50x100 cattle barn that was used by the old owners of this place, but my wife has taken that over for her horses. I have also re-fenced the place so access to the old cattle barn is not possible for the cows, so a new shelter is needed.
Thanks again,

Rob Johnson
Foley, MN.

Latest posts