How in the world do u get processing right now?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice looking beef!
He was a nice steer, really laid back, all he wanted to do was eat, which is perfect.. he could have had a little more fat, but he spend 6 weeks in the corral before slaughter since the guy was getting screwed around with his cooler/freezer setup, getting quotes of like $20K to hook it up

He'd have had a nice hide to do something with.. Carrots got him into the trailer
20200918_114353.jpg

I got really lucky, I called my usual place in april and they said they were booked until next spring.. friend of a friend is just opening up a shop, he had space, I was his first client, I already told him I want space for another next year.. and for a bonus, he's closer and charged $300 less!
worked out t $870 CAD (650 USD?) all said and done, 820 lbs hanging
View attachment 372
That's a good looking chunk of meat right there.

Wait until winter when the tempertures cool. Buy a grinder for the burger. Buy a bunch of wrapping paper. Sharpen the knifes up. I have slaughtered several beef. Never cut and wrapped one but I have done a number of elk. You end up with all boneless cuts. It is a big job but it is an option.

He can processes it for you, you just can't legally sell it unless it's an inspected kill / processing.
No, by law he cannot - Laws vary by state. I had a friend that processed over 2,500 deer per year, and he would lose his license and suffer legal prosecution if he did a cow or a pig. He could only do wild hogs.

No, by law he cannot - Laws vary by state. I had a friend that processed over 2,500 deer per year, and he would lose his license and suffer legal prosecution if he did a cow or a pig. He could only do wild hogs.
You will know better than I as you live there, but a quick google search does show a lot of guys that process both game and beef. So I guess they would have the required licensing.

Last edited:
You will know better than I as you live there, but a quick google search does show a lot of guys that process both game and beef. So I guess they would have the required licensing.
I think they need separate coolers for hanging, or at least divider walls.. that's what I've heard around here

Meat cutting is not my favorite, but we have to do one or two emergency slaughters per year. We have a local butcher who is happy to grind and bag the burger after we do our part. We give or sell some of this burger to family members.

I suppose the correct approach would be to sell all or part of the animal before you pull the trigger.

Some can do both. Some cannot

As regards TCRanch In as much as he cannot process livestock (unless it's his own) . What would be the result if you gave him
the beef, he processed it and made 'arrangements' to have the meat stored in your freezer. I am sure allowances could be made
for 'shrinkage'. A discreet application of american ingenuity could be the solution you are looking for.
Translation: "There is more than one way to skin a cat."

As regards TCRanch In as much as he cannot process livestock (unless it's his own) . What would be the result if you gave him
the beef, he processed it and made 'arrangements' to have the meat stored in your freezer. I am sure allowances could be made
for 'shrinkage'. A discreet application of american ingenuity could be the solution you are looking for.
I would not make that argument to the FDA inspectors. I knew a guy once that was selling cups at his restaurant in a dry county. Buy a cup and the alcohol was free. It did not end well for him!

Really not fair to ask a guy to risk his license to do you a favor. If offered, thats one thing. But I wouldn't ask or expect anyone to do that.
If you have the means to hang one, butchering isn't impossible to do at home. Its a big job, but I did one all by myself in a few days. You can find good videos online to figure out the cuts.

We fortunately just had two shops open up recently around here. I booked two steers with one of them for March. All of the others around here are fall 2021.

Would he do it if we asked? Maybe. But I wouldn't put him in a position of possibly forfeiting his license. This is a very generous operation that will process (free of charge) & subsequently distribute to the needy any venison that is donated.

BTW, I'm not the one that was looking for a processor.

Unless you're totally out of touch with reality its abundantly clear the packers and USDA are in collusion to discourage/eliminate small/local processors i.e. any form of competition. Capitalism is assuredly not alive nor well.

These folks are who I deal with. Their Facebook info is decidedly not up to date. Guessing their sentiments are typical of a lot of small processors around the country.
https://www.facebook.com/ElmiraLockerService/
No way their ancient facility would pass inspection but I trust them explicitly. They told me the other day no one in their right mind would purchase their facility. Fully understand.

It was not my intentions for anyone to take up a life of crime but to encourage some 'out of the box' thinking.
76 Bar is dead on in his comments on packers and USDA . Some of this mess comes from not having a
mandatory country of origin labeling. The sad fact is our own National Cattleman's Beef Association lobbied
against the labeling. As a result live cattle are shipped in, butchered and immediately become USDA (fill in grade).

I wonder how many people may have gotten a slot but don't have an animal yet, just to hedge their bet. Would it be possible to sell your slot if someone was desperate enough to have one processed, or would that be frowned upon by the processors? I'm just wondering if reaching out on Craigslist or Marketplace to see if anyone would be willing to give up, or trade for a latter slot would be worth while?

I wonder how many people may have gotten a slot but don't have an animal yet, just to hedge their bet. Would it be possible to sell your slot if someone was desperate enough to have one processed, or would that be frowned upon by the processors? I'm just wondering if reaching out on Craigslist or Marketplace to see if anyone would be willing to give up, or trade for a latter slot would be worth while?
HaHa. Will we soon have a futures market for trading processing slots? Or maybe it will be Mafia controlled. Could include toilet paper as well. How did we ever get to this point and how do we get out? Will things ever be normal again? At least we don't have gasoline shortages yet.

Latest posts