How in the world do u get processing right now?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We've only got 3 steers to grow and take in but here in south central Kansas ain't no one even got any openings for even one of two until way after spring of 2021. Some say it's becaue if covid, some say it's becaue one farmer took every booking around ...... thinking folk tale.
wish we knew how to string up our own becaue this is getting ridiculous - we havnt had steers in 3yrs and now that we finally do we got nowhere to take them.
Guess I'm gonna have to start checking meat lockers oVer 160 miles from wichita Ks.
anyone have a good friend who does processing?

Attachments

• 04CE5EAC-4E16-4A31-B2F0-B732A70255F9.jpeg
    04CE5EAC-4E16-4A31-B2F0-B732A70255F9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I know Cedar Vale & Grenola are booked. I did see a post on Facebook that Walnut Valley Packing in El Dorado is (was?) still taking taking new orders and there is a processor in Mulvane.

Most places stay booked at least 6 months out even in normal times. But I would agree, those calves are a ways from being ready, get on the list now.

not sure if the fed government or state of Iowa but talk on news channel about extra funding for private lockers to expand or new individuals to start up. I called in early March to schedule one for November but got end of February before I could get in. glad our 2 chest freezers are stocked to carry us through.

We butchered a str in May. When I picked him up, they put me on the list for May 2021.
Several lockers in IA and IL are taking a reduced number of deer this year to try and make cooler space.

It's the same here in North Central Texas. I took a steer for us back in June. At that time, I booked several slots for late December 2020 for our freezer beef sales. I'm so thankful I did because most places are booking about a year out now.When I take the steers in December I plan on booking spots for December 2021.

I got really lucky, I called my usual place in april and they said they were booked until next spring.. friend of a friend is just opening up a shop, he had space, I was his first client, I already told him I want space for another next year.. and for a bonus, he's closer and charged $300 less!
worked out t $870 CAD (650 USD?) all said and done, 820 lbs hanging
20200918_151251.jpg

I got really lucky, I called my usual place in april and they said they were booked until next spring.. friend of a friend is just opening up a shop, he had space, I was his first client, I already told him I want space for another next year.. and for a bonus, he's closer and charged $300 less!
worked out t $870 CAD (650 USD?) all said and done, 820 lbs hanging
View attachment 372
Nice looking beef!

Latest posts