How, HOW?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
SO during snowmaggedon last year, our second calf heifers were put in a pasture to calve in March.. They spent most of Feb huddled around the hay bales covered in ice. We had a few calves during that time ( always have some early ones), so i was out there 3 times a day, not to mention i can see the herd around the hay from my living room. We had a bad rebreeding with these heifers on their second calf.....15 appeared open in the summer. Fast forward to 9 mo later from snowmaggedon, 15 second year cows calved within 2 weeks of each other. There was NO BULL in this pasture. There are NO BULLS bordering this pasture. If a bull had gotten into the pasture, we would have had to get him out eventually.. These heifers get the best hay so no one likes leaving this pasture.... SO, what the heck.... we got very nice calves out of this sneaky mysterious bull. Its just left us scratching our heads because to get 15 cows bred in just a week or two, that would have been very obvious for sure..
We were out driving around in Nov and i looked out into the pasture and pointed, "What the heck is that!!" it was the first calf, there should be no calves anywhere, its my vacation of sorts....

Had a neighbor borrow a black simmental bull from another neighbor, went to his place about a year later and one of his red cows had a very light yellow char cross calf at side, asked what the calf was by he said our neighbors black simmental. I told him there was no way that calf came from that bull, there's a char in the wood pile somewhere and the calf was born a year after the other bull left. He wasn't convinced because no one around has a char bull. Kinda strange but not as strange as your deal.

I would have guessed maybe one snuck in, but considering when they were bred, no one was moving around...

Don't yall agree that to get that many cows bred where they'd all calve in 2 weeks time, some action would have been seen..... right? Thats what has me confused. This time of year if there is someone in there with something other than an udder, i see it. I know when one cow is in heat with no bulls...

SO during snowmaggedon last year, our second calf heifers were put in a pasture to calve in March.. They spent most of Feb huddled around the hay bales covered in ice. We had a few calves during that time ( always have some early ones), so i was out there 3 times a day, not to mention i can see the herd around the hay from my living room. We had a bad rebreeding with these heifers on their second calf.....15 appeared open in the summer. Fast forward to 9 mo later from snowmaggedon, 15 second year cows calved within 2 weeks of each other. There was NO BULL in this pasture. There are NO BULLS bordering this pasture. If a bull had gotten into the pasture, we would have had to get him out eventually.. These heifers get the best hay so no one likes leaving this pasture.... SO, what the heck.... we got very nice calves out of this sneaky mysterious bull. Its just left us scratching our heads because to get 15 cows bred in just a week or two, that would have been very obvious for sure..
We were out driving around in Nov and i looked out into the pasture and pointed, "What the heck is that!!" it was the first calf, there should be no calves anywhere, its my vacation of sorts....
That dog won't hunt. <Period

Neighbor had a traveler bull that was downright evil. Rarely saw him but finally cornered him in another neighbor's pasture. Neighbors' grandson shot him twice with a 30-06 and clearly only hit the sinus cavity because that bull jumped 4 more fences and ended up on our place well over a mile away. I ended up with a bred heifer and another neighbor had a train wreck with some of their heifers. They're stealth! And if they don't want to be seen, they won't. And 2200 lbs of solid testosterone can easily clear a fence. It happens. Just be thankful you didn't lose any cows/heifers and the calves seem fine.

I believe it was a smart bull probably 1/2 mile away...smelled their heat...jumped his fence and then your fence....for an evening and night of passion and was smart enough to jump both fences to get back home. You will need to walk your fence line just in case...some bulls get their head under the top 1 or 2 strands push and break 1 or 2 strands in the middle and step over the lower strand. I've witnessed this. Big Bulls won't break barb wire on t-post to t-post runs...they look for two close trees...where fencing is embedded inside the trees...now they have barb wire that won't move or give....and with standing pressure only against their chest they can break two strands of barb-wire and walk in.

I had a friend whose bull escaped for one night. Got in with the neighbors dairy heifers. Turned out he bred 12 heifers that night. It wouldn't be unusual for a group of cows all bred the same day to have their calves over a 2 week period. That is one theory. Another is this occurred during the snowmaggedon which is weather you are not use to. When you checked the cows you were bundled up like Nanok of the north. The cows were all huddled around round bales covered with ice. The bull might have been in there also covered with ice and snow. Sort of in camo not moving around so you missed seeing him. Wouldn't be the first bull to be shy and only do the breeding at night.

Latest posts