How High Will It Go!

Help Support CattleToday:

bear":wzwireau said:
In the past 10 days diesel fuel has gone from $3.79 to $4.10 a gallon. Regular gas is $3.04.
Bear

The best price in Colo on regular is 3.29 and as high as 3.85. Count your blessings!

3waycross":n7d28e4p said:
bear":n7d28e4p said:
In the past 10 days diesel fuel has gone from $3.79 to $4.10 a gallon. Regular gas is $3.04.
Bear

The best price in Colo on regular is 3.29 and as high as 3.85. Count your blessings!

Yea, gas was $3.29 here last week. Not sure why diesel is so much more. No blessings in $4.10 a gallon diesel, particularly, when you use more diesel than gasoline.
Bear

bear":1vut1fct said:
Bear
I don't know but I'm tired of it. They keep jackin' with me and I'm gonna teach em a lesson and buy a Prius.

Pretty darn sad when we are tickled to pay close to $3 a gallon for gas.

In the "good ole days" diesel was cheaper than gas.

Is it still possible to buy diesel fuel for farm use only and not have the highway taxes added to the price?

We have a huge diesel storage tank on the farm in a tobacco barn that doesn't appear to have been used in years but I remember at one time that's what it was used for.

TennesseeTuxedo":3ebtom98 said:
Is it still possible to buy diesel fuel for farm use only and not have the highway taxes added to the price?

We have a huge diesel storage tank on the farm in a tobacco barn that doesn't appear to have been used in years but I remember at one time that's what it was used for.

About ten years back they passed a law in Texas requiring registration numbers for persons buying off road diesel. The places around here selling it tend to gouge with their prices anyway.

Regular unleaded gas around here dropped from $3.29 early last week to $3.17.....highway diesel is $3.79 at most places.

TennesseeTuxedo":34yjwdwr said:

If you do decide to use it you need to clean it out first. I have heard of some putting pea gravel in them and rolling them over and over to clean out the gunk. We still have farm diesel at the pump in my small town.

Isomade":1hi4wudb said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1hi4wudb said:

If you do decide to use it you need to clean it out first. I have heard of some putting pea gravel in them and rolling them over and over to clean out the gunk. We still have farm diesel at the pump in my small town.
Since they can be hard to roll, I mounted ours on a stand with the rear about 4 inches lower then the front (outlet) and put a real heavy duty filter system on the hose. The tank we're using hadn't been used in many years and had a lot of rus acumulated in it. I've been using the tank now for 10 years and only had to change the filter once

A barrel of oil will make more gas than diesel. Diesel use is up in the USA and gas use is down. Supply and demand control the price. When was the last time you saw a new gas powered tractor.

From what I'm told, if you get caught using off-road diesel in your truck, it runs the price up to something like $800 a gallon.

TennesseeTuxedo":1wa3mwga said:

It is here. They still get up in ya. The last I had delivered was 3.47 per gal.

fitz

Jim62":39vs9lxg said:
From what I'm told, if you get caught using off-road diesel in your truck, it runs the price up to something like $800 a gallon.

That is what I have been led to believe. You get into deep doo around here if you are caught using farm grade diesel on the road. I guess it'd be pretty hard to get caught, though.

Lammie":ilbh673w said:
Jim62":ilbh673w said:

That is what I have been led to believe. You get into deep doo around here if you are caught using farm grade diesel on the road. I guess it'd be pretty hard to get caught, though.
Last year they were checking the fuel when people would haul a load into the salebarns. As I understand it they had to huge fine plus had to pay back all of the roadtaxes they hadn;t paid for the last 7 years.

Isomade":1vt40x3v said:
bear":1vt40x3v said:
Bear
I don't know but I'm tired of it. They keep jackin' with me and I'm gonna teach em a lesson and buy a Prius.
That'll show them! :lol:

From what I was told by a hwy patrol is that they can charge you road tax for every mile on your truck .. if you are caught .. a few guys I know run green in everything and write it all off as farm use.. be my luck id get caught either way ...

diesel trucks are becoming less economical or practical to even concider buying one. 45 to 50k for something that cost 75 to 100 dollars for a oil change, fuel prices, fuel fiters $100 a smack if you dont do it your self.. i can fly around alot cheaper in a gas burner

I've still got the 1 ton ford with the 6.0 that has cost me thousands. It is parked at the farm, registration expired and tags too. Need to get it updated. I've got to have it to pull the flat bed and heavy loads.

New truck is a gasoline and it is getting about 16 mpg. Thinking this is the pattern to go for general run around things. Looked at new diesels when I bought this one. Chose gas for the exact reasons you are citing.

FarmGirl10":206heuxc said:
Isomade":206heuxc said:
bear":206heuxc said:
Bear
That'll show them! :lol:

I've still got an old vintage Schwinn. It is only slightly heavier than that prius.

Latest posts