How high will gas go this summer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Most I ever paid for fuel was in Texas in July 2008. $4.999 per gallon for diesel. 1100 miles from SC to Wichita Falls, TX. 10 mpg pulling the gooseneck. 50 cents per mile for fuel - $1100 round trip. Had to run the credit card twice every time I filled up. Seems Dallas-Fort Worth goes on forever when you are pulling a cattle trailer. I thought fuel would be cheaper in Texas since they make so much of it there.
Cheapest I remember paying for fuel was $0.156 for regular leaded. Late 60's I think. About 3 dollars to fill the tank in the car. They held about 20 gallons then.

I remember filling up for $0.14 when I was in college. Three days later it was $0.11. They were having a gas war. Dang...... I could have saved about $0.50..... a 6 pack of cheap beer was $0.99. I would have saved half the price of a 6 pack. Needed to spend my money wisely and on the important things.

I remember filling up for $0.14 when I was in college. Three days later it was $0.11. They were having a gas war. Dang...... I could have saved about $0.50..... a 6 pack of cheap beer was $0.99. I would have saved half the price of a 6 pack. Needed to spend my money wisely and on the important things.
We are showing our age. When I was in college, I often ate lunch at Hardee's. I could get a small burger, small fries and small coke for $0.78. Now small then was much smaller than small now. About the size of a present day kids' meal. But, people were smaller then as well (wonder if there is a connection). And that was about all I could afford back then.

How much did you buy at $399. 😁😉😝🤡 I'd have to get a bicycle. 🚴‍♀️ Not sure what the cows would do for hay and such. I'd look funny trying to peddle hay behind my bicycle. 😎🤠 Wouldn't be the first ghetto farm moment.
Haha I didn't buy any road diesel, just filled all the tanks with farm fuel. Kinda tempted to buy one more tank and fill it to hedge the bets on what will happen price wise. I have to buy road fuel at the pump..or as suggested get a bike🤣.

Ya'll showing your age for sure. That's good stuff. ❤
Back in my day 😁 when I started driving gas was around 0.99 cents. Could fill up for $10.00. Pall Mall was in a big bucket thing by the check out around 0.99 I believe don't quote me on that. McDonald's had them spicy chicken sandwich for .99 cents. I ate them and Wendy's fries, Jr bacon cheeseburger, frosty for .99 cents.
I remember the diesel and gas being high in 2008.
What choice do we have but to pay it and move on or be mad and let it runt our day. Or ride bicycle. ?? I tried figuring out how to opt out of paying for many things hasn't worked. We can and most likely will one day have to have electric vehicles. In my opinion electric vehicles aren't for everyone. Electric comes from somewhere so are they really that much better than diesel amd gas.

Gas price quotes are going up $.01-.03 a day here. As rack prices go up so does the price to truck the fuel to the station. I figure it'll level off around $3.25-3.50. Been seeing more and more Democrats coming out in support of Trump, funny how people get what they want then realize it's not what they wanted at all. If you think fuel is going up just wait a couple years and look at your electric bills.

What does everybody expect, fracking has been eliminated, leases on oil land not renewed, oil pipeline construction stopped, people in powerful places say fossil fuel is bad. I have heard estimates of $8 gas. We have a perfect storm coming, economy back pre-China virus, 1.9 trillion hitting the economy causing inflation galore and a war on oil availability. I guess the people in the large cities don't drive much.

Last edited:
It's funny to me too. Liberals always think their leaders are trying to help them.😂 Their policies ALWAYS do the exact opposite. It doesnt stop drilling... just makes it more expensive. They dont stop gun sales... they increase them. They dont help the poor... the condemn them to a life of poverty.

With all due respect I would like to add a twist to the discussion. Based on the price you think gas (fuel if you will) is going to be,
what, if any, actions are you taking to address the issue? Thanks for those offered so far!

With all due respect I would like to add a twist to the discussion. Based on the price you think gas (fuel if you will) is going to be,
what, if any, actions are you taking to address the issue? Thanks for those offered so far!
Well I have given it some thought already and believe it or not I have even looked at wind driven vehicles. They are kinda ugly.

Windwagen-Anemo-III-in-Racing-Aeolus-2011.jpg

solar powered scooters

Solar-Scooter.jpg

This probably want burn a lot of gas

dicYmo9.jpg

Better than nothing

damn-amish

Electric Vehicle

Last edited:
Diesel is over $3.00 here now. Gas isn't that far behind.

We are showing our age. When I was in college, I often ate lunch at Hardee's. I could get a small burger, small fries and small coke for $0.78. Now small then was much smaller than small now. About the size of a present day kids' meal. But, people were smaller then as well (wonder if there is a connection). And that was about all I could afford back then.
There was an Artic Circle between the campus and my apartment. They would have specials 6 burgers for $1.00. I would buy $2.00 worth put them in the frig and eat them over the next several days. There was a tavern that would fill gallon jugs out of their tap for $0.90 a gallon...... it is a wonder that we survived.

Diesel is over $3.00 here now. Gas isn't that far behind.

There was an Artic Circle between the campus and my apartment. They would have specials 6 burgers for $1.00. I would buy $2.00 worth put them in the frig and eat them over the next several days. There was a tavern that would fill gallon jugs out of their tap for $0.90 a gallon...... it is a wonder that we survived.
Hope that gallon jug lasted several days same as the burgers.

What Maxine said sounds like communism doesn't it?

Oil prices have been on a steady climb since last november:

2021-02-24 oil.JPG

Hope that gallon jug lasted several days same as the burgers.
No unfortunately one jug never lasted that long. We bought more than one on Friday afternoon. They lasted Friday nights party, Saturday's party, and maybe one for the hair of the dog that bit you on Sunday. It is a wonder we survived those years. My senior party lasted 20 years.........

I can remember gas at $.30 gal. I can remember the gas wars in 1970's and the odd/even days. I remember getting a meal at McD's for $.99.....

Gas went up here to $2.45 and diesel is $3.25 now.

Got my propane lines run today for the small fireplace heater in the LR and the propane kitchen stove. 100 gal tank here with about 25 % and they will fill it in a couple days. Lawn was soft but not too bad for them to back around there. Need to get the stove here as soon as it dries up enough to get to the box trailer my son has it stored in.
Getting a new freezer and will move stuff out of one and bring up here to put in the new one. Then clean out the other one and move it here, empty another one. There are 3 freezers... one has over 100 chickens from last year in it. Plan to reorganize too and should be able to condense so will have room for the beef that is going to be killed.

I am going to be moved out of the rental and into the "new" house by the 1st of April come he// or high water. Rain/snow/wintry mix this weekend, then drying out for next week. Maybe get some more stuff moved end of next week. I'm ready to be done and will just stack stuff until I get it unpacked. Been trying to unpack and put away some as I go. I will work on packing more boxes the next few days. I can't move alot at a time due to the knees and the pain with walking and carrying. Son will help some but he is trying to keep up with all the chores since I cannot do alot with the animals except on a tractor.... and I cannot get in and out of the skid steer either. And he is working at VDOT and they have been working alot of 12 hr night shifts with all the crappy weather.... so he feeds for several hours and then HAS to go home and sleep so he can go back into work.
I will find other help maybe for one day to do the carrying of a truck load of boxes up stairs into the walk in attic, and move the few bigger pieces of furniture. Then I can clean it and get the little stuff out. I'm over half moved now on my own, bringing a car load of boxes when I come up the hill every time I can. This on top of testing and working on the house too.

Latest posts