How has Payweight 1682 done for you

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
Probably one of the most used sires in the last 3 or 4 years I'd guess. Alot of registrations. How have you all that used him felt about his daughters? How have the feet looked (his EPD's there are not too hot). Has everyone been happy with the look and fertility?

FWIW ive got a 10 month old heifer out of a Right Time daughter(flush) She is really good, no feet issues, will have full sister or brother in about 2 weeks.
If I went by the new EPD`s on feet and fertility, I don't have a single cow that can walk or raise a calf!!!!

I completely agree on the foot epd. My guess is it will get more accurate over time and they'll dilute it down and obfuscate the number after about 4 changes in the way it is calculated, that all cattle in 8 years will have above average feet!

hornedfrogbbq said:
I completely agree on the foot epd. My guess is it will get more accurate over time and they'll dilute it down and obfuscate the number after about 4 changes in the way it is calculated, that all cattle in 8 years will have above average feet!

We only had one 1682. She was out of a 5050 Dam and she had really bad feet. She raised one MGR Treasure calf for us that has good feet but she also didn't breed back as a Second Calver. She went on a ride to town.

I do like 1682 progeny but they are known to throw some feet issues here and there. Having said that, we decided to try his son Power Play before the foot epd came out. His initial foot EPD doesn't look to promising. Hopefully it's inaccurate but we're not holding our breath.

Whenever I've seen 1682 sons, I am able to pick them out instantly without having been told the sire. Deep and soggy! I think he throws his phenotype on his sons better than almost any bull out there, Cowboy Up appears to be right there with Payweight. I've seen some daughters but I couldn't tell the difference from them or most any other bull. Look at the farms that have used him a lot, if they are out west, don't worry about the feet. One of the best footed bulls I know of, has a horrible score, but he's being used by numerous outfits.

CreekAngus said:
Whenever I've seen 1682 sons, I am able to pick them out instantly without having been told the sire. Deep and soggy! I think he throws his phenotype on his sons better than almost any bull out there, Cowboy Up appears to be right there with Payweight. I've seen some daughters but I couldn't tell the difference from them or most any other bull. Look at the farms that have used him a lot, if they are out west, don't worry about the feet. One of the best footed bulls I know of, has a horrible score, but he's being used by numerous outfits.

Helpful. Thank you. I am most concerned about his daughters and if they throw any of his traits as well as his sons throwing his traits.

CreekAngus said:

1682 definitely stamps his progeny with extra depth of body and dimension as well as any bull out there. His progeny look to be easy fleshing and bigger boned.
Our 1682 was a purchased heifer. For us, we see more animals that don't breed back from outside sources. If we use those same genetics and raise them as calves, they tend to fit in much better and last much longer here.
We have also noticed that if our cattle run on dry and rocky areas/mountains that we don't have as many foot problems.

Look at the farms that have used him a lot, if they are out west, don't worry about the feet.

I disagree - a lot of the cattle in the west run on tough ground and will wear feet - they just don't see the foot issues that we do running on higher organic soils that are very productive and intensively managed.

My husband says our 1682 granddaughter is our best yearling heifer. Totally disagree with him. But she sure impressed him the other day while we walked through them.

Willow Springs said:
Look at the farms that have used him a lot, if they are out west, don't worry about the feet.

I disagree - a lot of the cattle in the west run on tough ground and will wear feet - they just don't see the foot issues that we do running on higher organic soils that are very productive and intensively managed.

We do see structural and foot issues. It is best if an animal is raised here on the feet. But also as my vet has stated the rough countr will break down a poorly structured cow just like it will a poorly built trailer. A cow that will be productive elsewhere won't last in rough, rocky country.

We do see structural and foot issues. It is best if an animal is raised here on the feet. But also as my vet has stated the rough countr will break down a poorly structured cow just like it will a poorly built trailer. A cow that will be productive elsewhere won't last in rough, rocky country.

My real point is that foot quality is environment specific. So to say that you can copy what works for someone in a specific environment to bring it to yours isn't true. I have been to Western ranches that say they don;t have foot issues, but analyzing the feet there I know they are not nearly good enough for our environment. And nothing wrong with that - you need to manage for your own environment so if you don't have foot issues then focus on other things.

Rockier ground will wear feet, but flatter feet may lead to injuries when walking - probably fewer long toe issues. Sandier soil really wears feet especially combined with lower grass production (cows walk more) and likely few feet shape/heal depth issues.

In our environment where I run cows in 10-40 acre paddocks that are higher organic, or some clay they wear feet more slowly. We have some soils with some sand and my feet stay much better than a friend who lives 50 miles away and has heavier clay and peat soils. Even the winter here changes how feet behave. When the ground is covered with snow for 4 months there is very little wearing of feet as the snow doesn't have any grit and the cows walk less.

I have to say I am shocked at the lack of response about Payweight and how his daughters are doing. There are plenty of them out there now. Thousands have been registered and documented.

had the second calf out of the Payweight flush yesterday, 85lb bull calf. If he turns out as good as his sister he will get to stay awhile

Named'em Tamed'em said:
Just put a straw of Tex playbook in a cow today!
We just had our first Playbook calf yesterday, 76# heifer out of a Hoover Dam second timer. up and sucking in 45 min !

Private discussions would have one wonder if breeding these daughters is an issue.

We have two granddaughters of 1682 and neither stuck to AI. A very small sample and could be coincidence but if others are having problems getting them bred... is there an issue?

I was talking to my husband about it last night and how catastrophic it would be because of his heavy use. Some sales last spring had nothing but (or majority of) Payweights.

And if we are seeing this result in 2nd gen... how the heck do you even correct that? Cull?

Right now im leaning towards Tahoe on Payweight heifer, still a few months to change my mind.

NEFarmwife said:
Private discussions would have one wonder if breeding these daughters is an issue.

We have two granddaughters of 1682 and neither stuck to AI. A very small sample and could be coincidence but if others are having problems getting them bred... is there an issue?

I was talking to my husband about it last night and how catastrophic it would be because of his heavy use. Some sales last spring had nothing but (or majority of) Payweights.

And if we are seeing this result in 2nd gen... how the heck do you even correct that? Cull?

Our lone 1682 heifer didn't breed back after her first calf, She's now a Big Mac at Mcdonalds. She had extremely large numbers for growth and performance, that's probably why she didn't breed back.
I haven't noticed anything wrong with fertility of the Playbooks yet. Our Playbook heifers bred up well, time will tell next year.

Playbook x 1169 (Dam of Coleman Engage at Select Sires)

LCBulls said:
NEFarmwife said:

Our lone 1682 heifer didn't breed back after her first calf, She's now a Big Mac at Mcdonalds. She had extremely large numbers for growth and performance, that's probably why she didn't breed back.
I haven't noticed anything wrong with fertility of the Playbooks yet. Our Playbook heifers bred up well, time will tell next year.

Playbook x 1169 (Dam of Coleman Engage at Select Sires)

The two we have in our herd (granddaughters) were still bred following AI to a good bull but I don't forsee us retaining them. Probably sell as heavy bred.

Had our first Tex Playbook calf from a Spruce Mountain heifer (Colonel daughter) yesterday. One of our area seedstock producers came by to grab some equipment to borrow and I guess, asked who she was (the dam), as he really liked her. The calf arrived 10 days early. Small. I know a weight was grabbed but I wasn't told what he weighed. 2 of 3 heifers we bought have calves. Both have been bulls. Next calf to debut is a Gar Ashland...