How far will the calf market fall?

Help Support CattleToday:

Grass hay is high here due to hay burning useless horseys as well. Also big dairies quit hay making and buy in their heifer hay. Also the tonnage is lower and most only get 1or 2 cutting of grass hay.

Of course the term grass hay can mean a lot of things.

HG I will be anxiously awaiting todays sale results here prices are continually declining after I thought they leveled out.

we sent 7 bull calves to the sale 2wks ago.5 aved 559lbs and brought and ave of $2.14 a lb.1 aved 475lbs and brought $2.25 a lb.didnt see the chack for the other bull calf.all calves was beefmaster or beefmaster crosses.

I wouldn't mind if the fall was consistent. But the big calves in loads are taking a hard hit and the small salebarn calves are off just a bit(grass guys are buying here). Looks like I will be buying cows again.

I can tell you one thing for sure-- if you ever see me get optimistic about the cattle markets, Look out . I have been a naysayer about the high prices holding................ till right before they dropped.

highgrit":12zu3vhm said:
What's causing the price of calves to fall this time of year?

1) Speculators.
2) Fear.
3) Speculators who are afraid after losing big on other commodities.

The other side of this is why did they go so high last fall ???

Howdyjabo":33a6l69w said:
I wouldn't mind if the fall was consistent. But the big calves in loads are taking a hard hit and the small sales barn calves are off just a bit (grass guys are buying here). Looks like I will be buying cows again.

For a chuckle go back and a read 2015 calf price predictions written last December.

I wonder what will happen this week now that its finally turned cold here in the east. I'm hoping for another bounce up when the grass starts to green up, I'm selling then.

Toad":201grqay said:
I wonder what will happen this week now that its finally turned cold here in the east. I'm hoping for another bounce up when the grass starts to green up, I'm selling then.

Exactly if bounces up and stays for 2 weeks the 3rd week im selling :lol2:

I tried but couldn't find anything put pages and pages of football predictions

Prices bounced back up at our sale here in Middle GA this week. Still have some calves to sell.

Stocker Steve":3rvad9kd said:
Howdyjabo":3rvad9kd said:
I wouldn't mind if the fall was consistent. But the big calves in loads are taking a hard hit and the small sales barn calves are off just a bit (grass guys are buying here). Looks like I will be buying cows again.

For a chuckle go back and a read 2015 calf price predictions written last December.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93352

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=94173

The market here was up this week also. I hope it continues I have a few calves I need to sell.

greybeard":1lr0y8cv said:
Caustic Burno":1lr0y8cv said:

I may go sit in awhile at Livingston tomorrow and see how it's going there. Got a couple I need to decide if I want to cull now or wait a couple of months.

If the Mrs. doesn't have anything planned might see you.
I hadn't had any to haul in several weeks as you can't get into a lot of the pens still.
Got the Mule stuck in the pasture today and had to winch it out.

Latest posts