How far is too far

Help Support CattleToday:

malfers

Reaction score
How far are you willing to drive to purchase cattle same on how far will you ship.

Friend of mine bought a lot of cows from Texas several years ago when they had a bad drought and brought them to Virginia and they done ok.

If it is much over 12 or 1300 miles you may want to find somewhere to rest them and give them some hay and water somewhere in the middle.

original herd would walk to gate if back trailer up to it , but only had to move less than 20 mile every three to six months depending on weather an pasture conditions ,buy with in 50 mile radius or less .sell about the same .

I will get out and go a little fit some open heifers, if they are exactly like what I've got in mind. I gone as much as 250 miles a few times. You need to load the trailer to make it feasible though.

Use to have several dairymen here in central Texas buy dairy cattle in Tennessee and have them delivered here. Would make one stop on the way, unload and allow them to rest a couple of hours, eat and drink.

Wherever it pencils. Over the years, I've bought them from neighbor across the fence, 2 Canadian Provinces, 4 States in Mexico and 17 Western and MidWestern States.

Hopefully our new leader will make it cost prohibitive to buy and import cattle from south of the border. The cost of living - surviving is to cheap in Mexico for US to compete with. If folks would put our country first, instead of money we could really make America great again. This might be our last chance.

The last couple years I shipped pot loads of bred heifers from the Washington coast to Eastern Nebraska. The trucks stopped in Montana after 12-15 hours on the road to take a break

talltimber":2f59t0ne said:
Did you ever hear from them again? I wonder how they made the transition to their new home/forage?

After the first year (2014) he was real happy. Contacted early in 2015 before the bottom fell out of the market. He also had a feedlot so by the time the heifers we delivered he was losing his shirt on fat cattle. He took delivery and paid for the heifers but I never heard from him again.

True Grit Farms":2rx5g6g7 said:
Hopefully our new leader will make it cost prohibitive to buy and import cattle from south of the border. The cost of living - surviving is to cheap in Mexico for US to compete with. If folks would put our country first, instead of money we could really make America great again. This might be our last chance.
AND we ship almost 15% of our entire agricultural exports to Mexico. They might have a say in those decisions as well. It's always a two way street.