How dry is it for you folks in your neck of the woods

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, over here, it's BONE dry, we haven't had any significant rain for a year, except just enough to get your hay wet, and we had about 8 inches of snow over the winter... usually we start our irrigation up around may 10th, we started 2 weeks early this year, there's a field across the river from us that is abandoned, usually it gets green in the springtime, then dries up around the end of may... this year, it's not getting green, as far as range in the lower areas, there is absolutely not a piece of grass growing, higher up, there may be some... wondering how others are doing

Just toay I was cussing the rain; got 10" last week and this week our only "non-rain" day is scheduled for Thursday!
I was digging post holes today for the new hay pasture but the ground is so saturated as the auger digs, the hole fills up with water. BUT, sure makes putting the pipe and cement in easier...
I promise not to cuss any of the rain this week knowing it could be worse.

I'm not sure how much rain we go last week (but it was a significant amount). But I was out flinging mud in one of the hay fields a couple hours ago. :) And yes I had permission.

pretty soggy here and the weatherman says the pattern is going to hold for the next 7-10 days
I need to be mowing hay and discing some ground and doing some dozing but as always it will all hit at the same time and we will be running nonstop to get it all done but not really complaining about the rain it could be worse

Had 13 inches a few weeks ago but nothing since. Supposed to have gotten some today. Had severe weather warnings and the whole nine yards and nary a drop of rain fell. It is getting dry. I hope we don't have a repeat of last two years. It would just be nice to have average rainfall.

Had two inches about 10 days ago, the last rain before that was in November. Not dry at the moment but some rain soon would really help to get the grass seeds that germinated to start growing. Nothing in the forecast for the next 10 days though. There is still no grazing in the veld at all.

Last week it rained every day but Friday. No rain this week so far. I think that's about to change. On the up side, the flowers look good and the pastures are green and growing like mad. Maybe it will be another wet summer like we had around here in 2007.

havent' seen rain for about ohhh...3 months now. it's a pretty red brown color all over.

Jogeephus":3jdumema said:
Had 13 inches a few weeks ago but nothing since. Supposed to have gotten some today. Had severe weather warnings and the whole nine yards and nary a drop of rain fell. It is getting dry. I hope we don't have a repeat of last two years. It would just be nice to have average rainfall.

15 inches here during that same time period, but dry everywhere except the very low spots. Grass is not even growing.

we can;t seem too get rain, with out the weather alarm going off every other day...those f1's are doing a jig all over north alabama

Here it's rained daily for the last 2 weeks, not sure how much we've had but it'll rain for 3-4 hrs then quit for 4-5, giving the creeks time to go down. Monday we had minor flooding cause of a steady downpour Sunday night. I'm going to have to make hay out of my yard if it doesn't stop soon, might have problems turning the tractor around inside the fence though :lol:

alacattleman":1tiog09n said:
http://www.whnt.com/weather/whnt-weatherphotos-slideshow,0,2841470.framedurl just some pictures of what been going on here weve had around 20 in of rain since dec.

Y'all are getting hammered. Keep your head down when the funnel clouds sail past.
I need to cut hay, and the forecast is rain through the weekend. I need 4 open days, unless the temps rise. Not much chance of that. At least the tonnage will be there. I have trouble complaining about rain, but as a farmer/rancher I reserve the right to complain about blue sky and sunshine.
On a side note, my lawn is growing at a scary rate. I think I need a couple goats.

john250":uk17mcnc said:
alacattleman":uk17mcnc said:
http://www.whnt.com/weather/whnt-weatherphotos-slideshow,0,2841470.framedurl just some pictures of what been going on here weve had around 20 in of rain since dec.

Y'all are getting hammered. Keep your head down when the funnel clouds sail past.
I need to cut hay, and the forecast is rain through the weekend. I need 4 open days, unless the temps rise. Not much chance of that. At least the tonnage will be there. I have trouble complaining about rain, but as a farmer/rancher I reserve the right to complain about blue sky and sunshine.
On a side note, my lawn is growing at a scary rate. I think I need a couple goats.
its the little twisters that are wreckin' havoc on us f1 yesterday 75 yards wide traveled 11 miles. winds blowing down trees like dominos, the roots are so saturated.

I've seen 12 inches of rain in 24 hours before, I nearly dissolved, I'm a dry weather guy myself, but this year is just a bit too dry, if you exclude snow, we've had maybe 2-4 inches in the last year of rain.. irrigation started about 3 weeks early for everyone here this year, and hay crops and range will be down... of course with me complaining will me we get 3" of rain on our first cut.. go figure

Latest posts